GPS-based toll collection within 1 year, toll booths to be removed: Gadkari

at 4:08 pm
Nitin Gadkari (File photo)

New Delhi (NVI): Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari today said that physical toll booths will be removed and GPS-based toll collection will be implemented within one year.

While addressing Lok Sabha during the Question Hour today, Gadkari said toll collection will happen via GPS and the money will be collected based on GPS imaging on vehicles.

Speaking in Lok Sabha on ‘Vehicle Scrapping Policy’, Gadkari also asserted that 93 per cent of the vehicles pay toll using FASTag, while the remaining 7 per cent have still not taken it despite paying a double toll.

The Union Transport Minister has instructed police inquiry for those vehicles which do not pay toll using FASTags. There are cases of toll theft and GST evasion cases if FASTags are not fitted in vehicles.

Introduced in 2016, FASTags facilitate electronic payment of fee at toll plazas. As per the new rules, vehicles without FASTag are required to pay double toll fee at electronic toll plazas across the country.