Hurriyat activists, outfits behind J&K stone-pelting :Govt

parliament
File Photo

New Delhi (NVI): As many as 5,161 persons, including political leaders and workers, stone pelters, OGWs, separatists were taken into preventive custody in Kashmir Valley since August 4, the Rajya Sabha was informed today.

Minister of State for Home Affairs G Kishan Reddy said that investigation has revealed that various separatist organisations and activists which are part of Hurriyat have been behind stone pelting incidents in Kashmir Valley and that the NIA has chargesheeted 18 persons in terror funding cases so far.

In a written reply to the question, the Minister said that to prevent commission of offences involving breach of peace, activities prejudicial to the security of the state and maintenance of public order people were taken into preventive custody.

He said that out of these, presently 609 persons are under preventive detentions which include 218 stone pelters.

He added that after 5 August, 194 cases have been registered in Jammu and Kashmir for breach of peace.

Commenting on the financing of militants and separatists, Reddy said that illegal money is being sent through hawala channels from across the border to finance terror related activities, stone pelting and attack on Security Forces in the Union Territory.

The Minister also remarked that due to the recent decisions, certain precautionary measures taken initially have already been substantially relaxed and it has been reported by the Jammu and Kashmir Government that all essential services are functioning normally in the Valley.

-sb