New Delhi (NVI): India today said that it expects the Chinese side to work sincerely with New Delhi for complete disengagement and de-escalation and full restoration of peace and tranquility in the border areas along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
External Affairs spokesperson Anurag Srivastava, in a press briefing here, recalled the July 5 telephone conversation between the Special Representatives of India and China where they discussed the situation in the India-China border areas. along LAC. The Chinese side was represented by its foreign minister Wang Yi while National Security Advisor Ajit Doval was from the Indian side.
“The two Special Representatives had agreed that early and complete disengagement of the troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and de-escalation from India-China border areas in accordance with bilateral agreement and protocols and full restoration of peace and tranquility was essential for the smooth overall development of bilateral relations,” Srivastava said, adding that India remains committed to this objective.
The MEA statement on the status of India-China border row comes four days after both the countries held the fifth round of military-level talks to expedite the process of disengagement of troops along LAC. The senior military commanders from both sides held the meet in Moldo, on the Chinese side of the LAC.
Earlier on July 30, the Chinese ambassador to India, Sun Weidong, had claimed that troops of both countries have disengaged in most areas at Line of Actual Control (LAC) on which the MEA issued a clarification saying that there has been some progress but the disengagement process has not been completed yet.
Since the face-off in Galwan Valley of Ladakh on June 15, India and China have held diplomatic and military level talks to resolve the border situation.
Apart from the June 15 Galwan clashes between the Indian Army and PLA troops, the border tensions were also triggered by a violent clash between the two militaries in Pangong Tso area in eastern Ladakh on May 5.
In the June 15 violence, 20 Indian soldiers lost their lives while China also lost some of its troops but Beijing didn’t disclose the number of casualties.
Meanwhile, earlier in the day, India asked China to desist from making “infructuous attempts” to raise issues pertaining to Indian Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir at the UN Security Council (UNSC) after its third attempt failed on Wednesday.
China, at the behest of Pakistan, raised the issue at an informal and closed meeting but most of other member nations refused to pay heed, saying it’s an internal matter of India, according to officials.
This is the third time that China raked up the issue since abolition of special status of Jammu and Kashmir granted under Article 370 on August 5 last year.
The issue was first raised in August last year and then in January this year, but like previous occasions, there was no resolution.