J&K: Attack case on BJP leader in Ganderbal solved, 3 militant associates held

at 7:18 pm
Terrorist arrested
Representational image

Lubna Reshi

Srinagar (NVI): Jammu and Kashmir police today said that they have solved the case of attack on a BJP leader from Nunar area in central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district and have arrested three militant associates.

In a statement, police said, “On October 6, terrorists carried out an attack on the District Vice President of BJP, Ghulam Qadir, at Nunar, Ganderbal, in which one terrorist involved in the attack, namely Shabir Ahmad Shah of Tral, was also killed on the spot in retaliatory firing.”

“Constable Mohammad Altaf was also killed due to a gunshot wound during the incident,” police added.

An FIR was filed in this regard in Ganderbal Police Station and investigation was set into motion.

During investigation, involvement of Qaiser Ahmad Sheikh of Serch (Hospital Security Guard) Ganderbal was unraveled, however, the subject upon questioning tried to dodge the investigation agency.

Technical details sought through ESU revealed some startling facts and sustained questioning of the subject on October 30 revealed that he was an active member of Hizbul Mujahideen and had been instrumental in the attack.

Accordingly, he was arrested and on his disclosure one pistol, one Pistol Magazine with 3 rounds of ammunition and some Pak flags were recovered by the police.

During sustained questioning, the said militant associate disclosed names of two other associates namely Hilal Ahmad Mir of Bernbugh Kangan, working as ATM Guard at SKIMS and Asif Ahmad Mir of Serch Ganderbal (Private Security Guard at SMHS), who were also arrested. One more Chinese pistol and ammunition, two detonators, Pak flags and other incriminating material was recovered at their instance, according to the police statement.

The statement added, “All the three had come in contact with militant operatives in South Kashmir and were tasked by him to prepare a kill list of local political workers and attack them.”

Further investigation in the case is going on and more arrests are expected, the statement read.