PM Modi to inaugurate Rewa Solar Project tomorrow

Representational Image

New Delhi (NVI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate Asia’s largest 750 mega-watt (MW) solar power project in Rewa, Madhya Pradesh on July 10.

The Solar Project comprises of three solar units of 250 MW each located on a 500 hectare plot of land situated inside a Solar Park, spread over 1,590 hectares in Rewa district.

Rewa Solar project by the Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Co. Ltd. (RUMSL) was formed in a joint venture of Madhya Pradesh Urja Vikas Nigam (MPUVNL) and Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI).

For the development of the park, RUMSL has provided central financial assistance of Rs 138 crore. After the Park had been developed, Mahindra Renewables Private Ltd., ACME Jaipur Solar Power Private Ltd, and Arinsun Clean Energy Private Ltd were selected by RUMSL through reverse auction for developing three solar generating units.

The Rewa Solar Project was the first solar project in the country to break the grid parity barrier. The minimum tariff of electricity produced in this project was Rs 2 and 97 paise per unit, which was less than Re 1and a half to two as compared to the tariff of 4 and a half to 5 per unit obtained from other contemporary projects.

Furthermore, the project has been acknowledged in India and abroad for its robust project structuring and innovations. It was selected under the best projects for the Prime Minister’s Award for Innovation at state level and was included in the Prime Minister’s “A Book of Innovation: New Beginnings”.

It is also the first renewable energy project to supply to an institutional customer outside the state, for Delhi Metro, which will get 24 per cent of energy from the project with remaining 76 per cent being supplied to the state DISCOMs of Madhya Pradesh.

However, the Rewa Project has set a national goal to attain the target of 175 GW of installed renewable energy capacity by the year 2022, including 100 GW of Solar installed capacity.

-RJV/CHK