New Delhi (NVI): Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will make a statement in Parliament tomorrow on situation at Ladakh border against background of China saying disengagement of frontline troops has begun in Pangong Tso area.
“Raksha Mantri Shri @rajnathsingh will make a statement in Rajya Sabha tomorrow regarding ‘Present Situation in Eastern Ladakh,” his office tweeted tonight.
Raksha Mantri Shri @rajnathsingh will make a statement in Rajya Sabha tomorrow regarding ‘Present Situation in Eastern Ladakh’.
— रक्षा मंत्री कार्यालय/ RMO India (@DefenceMinIndia) February 10, 2021
The statement assumes special significance since China stated today that Indian and Chinese troops have begun to disengage from the southern and northern banks of the Pangong lake.
“The Chinese and Indian frontline troops at the southern and northern bank of the Pangong Tso Lake start synchronized and organized disengagement from February 10,” said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense, in a written statement today.
“This move is in accordance with the consensus reached by both sides at the 9th round of China-India Corps Commander Level Meeting,” the statement said.
Last month, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar had said that the events in Eastern Ladakh that took place last year have so profoundly disturbed the relationship between India and China, that it is at crossroads today.
The aggressive posturing at the Line of Actual Control (LAC) by the Chinese side showed their willingness to breach peace and tranquility, EAM Jaishankar said in his keynote address at the 13th All India Conference of China Studies late last month.
Jaishankar’s remarks came as India and China are locked in a bitter stand-off over border row that escalated with violence witnessed along LAC from the Chinese side.