New Delhi (NVI): The government of Saudi Arabia today extended the ban on entry to the Kingdom through air, land and sea for another week, amid concern over new coronavirus strain.
In an official statement, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) stated, the Ministry of Interior said the kingdom is temporarily suspending all international flights — except in exceptional cases — for a period of one week, which can be extended by another week.
“Entry the kingdom through land and sea ports will also be suspended for a week, which can be extended by another week,” it added.
The decision was taken as a precautionary measure against the spread of the new variant of COVID-19, which had been detected in a number of countries, the SPA said.
Meanwhile, the exceptional cases would be exempted from the entry ban, and non-Saudi citizens are allowed to leave the Kingdom.
The Interior Ministry is also assessing the current situation and suspension of travel could be further extended, if necessary, the agency added.
Earlier on December 20, Saudi Arabia halted international flights and suspended entry through its land and sea ports for at least a week, after a new fast-spreading variant of coronavirus discovered in Britain.
So far, the Kingdom has registered 3,62,220 coronavirus cases, while the death toll stands at 6,185 in Saudi Arabia, the John Hopkins University data shows.