New Delhi (NVI): Seven Indian nationals, who were abducted at Asshwerif in Libya September 14, were finally released yesterday, the Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement today. All of them are safe and are in good health, while the further process is underway for their return to India.
India’s ambassador to Tunisia, Puneet Roy Kundal, spoke to them over phone after they were handed over by the abductors to the company Al Shola Al Mudia, MEA said.
“All of them are in good health and are currently staying in the company’s premises in Brega. We are trying to complete requisite formalities to enable their return to India,” the External Affairs Ministry said.
The Indian foreign office in Libya has expressed gratitude to the Libyan authorities and the tribal elders from the region for their steadfast cooperation in securing the release of the nationals unharmed, the ministry further said.
MEA also reiterated that there is a ban on travel of Indian nationals to Libya, “irrespective of the purpose”, since May 2016 because of the security situation there.
Earlier on Thursday, MEA spokesman Anurag Srivastava, in a statement had said that the Ministry was it is in touch with the Libyan authorities for the release of the seven Indians who were working at a construction company in Libya and were kidnapped on September 14.