Survival rate of terrorists declining fast in Kashmir: Police

at 8:08 pm
Representative pic

Srinagar: The survival rate of local terrorists in Kashmir is decreasing drastically, with 32 of them being killed within just 3 months of their joining terrorist ranks, according to a top police officer.

Inspector General of Police (Kashmir Zone) Vijay Kumar stated this after the police and security forces killed two local terrorists affiliated to Al Badr outfit in a long encounter in Pulwama district.

He said 62 terrorists have been killed in Kashmir in various encounters in the last 4 months.

Out of them, 15 were foreigners, Kumar said.

A majority (39) of the killed terrorists were affiliated with Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba outfit.

Among others, 15 belonged to Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad, 6 to Hizb-ul-Mujahideen and 2 to Al-Badr.

“Among the total 62 killed terrorists, 47 were local terrorists & 15 #foreign terrorists,” said a tweet by Kashmir Police quoting IGP.

“Due to enhanced #Humint (human intelligence), #Techint (technical input) & focused #operations, the surviving rate of #terrorists is drastically decreasing. Out of 62 terrorists killed so far in the current year, 32 terrorists got #neutralised within just three months of their joining #terror ranks,” the IGP Kashmir said.

April saw increased operations, in which 22 terrorists were killed in 13 gunfights.

Earlier, the security forces shot dead two local militants in an overnight encounter in Mitrigam in Pulwama district.

The slain terrorists were involved in a series of attacks on non-Kashmiri labourers, the police said.

“At around 4:10 PM, while the initial cordon was being established, terrorists attempting to break cordon opened heavy fire onto the security Forces during which an army soldier suffered multiple gunshot wounds.  He was immediately evacuated to the nearest Medical Aid Post..,” Srinagar-based Defence spokesman said.

“The terrorists had entered an area that comprised a cluster of eight houses including a cowshed, with a large orchard adjoining the houses.

“The cordon was reinforced and tightened around this area to prevent the escape of the terrorists. Systematic evacuation of civilians from the area was undertaken in coordination with Police.  The area was kept under constant surveillance using quad copters to locate the terrorists,” he added.

At around 7:30 PM, the terrorists were spotted and isolated inside a cowshed.

“Firefight between the terrorists and own forces commenced which continued till about 9:50 PM when it was found that the one terrorist had been neutralised and the other grievously injured.

“Intermittent firing continued through the night into the intervening morning of April 28 till around 2:15 AM when it was found that the second terrorist had also been neutralised. A search of the target area resulted in the recovery of weapons and other warlike stores,” the spokesman said.