New Delhi (NVI): A viral WhatsApp message is claiming that the education minister of the country has decided to open schools and colleges in a phased manner.
Attributing the claim to the education minister, the message says that schools and colleges would open for students studying in class 9 to 12 from September 21.
Taking note of the viral message, the Fact Check Unit of the Press Information Bureau (PIB) has clarified that Education Minister had not made any such announcement and the message is fake.
“Claim: In a #WhatsApp Forward, the Education Minister is claiming that schools will be opened in a phased manner from September 21.
#PIBFactCheck: The Minister of Education has not made any such statement. According to #Unlock4Guidelines students of class 9th-12th can go to school to consult teachers,” PIB Fact Check Tweeted in Hindi.
दावा:एक #WhatsApp फॉरवर्ड मे शिक्षा मंत्री के हवाले से दावा किया जा रहा है कि 21 सितम्बर से चरणबद्ध तरीके से स्कूल खोले जाएंगे#PIBFactCheck:शिक्षा मंत्री ने ऐसा कोई बयान नहीं दिया है।#Unlock4Guidelines के अनुसार 9वी-12वी कक्षा के छात्र शिक्षकों से परामर्श के लिए स्कूल जा सकते है pic.twitter.com/VxEAavN5Hb
— PIB Fact Check (@PIBFactCheck) September 7, 2020
Earlier on August 30, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said that schools and colleges across the country shall remain closed until September 30.
The MHA added that online and distance learning will be permitted, with up to 50 per cent of the teaching and non-teaching staff will be allowed to come to schools for online classes after September 21. However this would not be permitted in the containment zones.