Monday, May 18, 2026
Home Blog Page 11

J&K Govt reassures tourists on safety, facilities
Tourist confidence was shaken after terror attack on tourists in Pahalgam in Kashmir in April last year

Satish Sharma, Senior minister of Jamm and Kashmir.
Satish Sharma, Senior minister of Jamm and Kashmir. (File Pic)

Srinagar, May 7 (NVI): Seeking to give a reassurance to tourists, a senior minister of Jammu and Kashmir said the government is focused on building a tourist-friendly ecosystem that boosts visitor confidence and contributes to economic growth and employment generation in the Union Territory.

The government is committed to ensure that every visitor feels secure, supported and well-connected throughout their journey, said Satish Sharma, Minister for Transport,  Youth Services & Sports, said during an interaction with a group of tourists here.

The remarks assume significance as the tourist confidence was shaken after the ghastly terror attack on tourists in Pahalgam in south Kashmir on April 22 last year, in which 25 visitors and a local man were killed.

That dastardly attack by three Pakistani terrorists had caused a setback to tourism in Kashmir and prompted India to launch Operation Sindoor against perpetrators of terrorism based in Pakistan.

Sharma said the government is making all possible efforts to ensure smooth movement, comfortable stay and hassle-free travel for tourists visiting different parts of Jammu and Kashmir.

He said the administration has put in place adequate arrangements to provide transport facilitation, accommodation support, food and essential supplies, medical assistance and tourist guidance wherever required.

Calling tourists the “valued guests and ambassadors” of Jammu and Kashmir’s hospitality and culture, Sharma said

“The government is committed to provide a safe, welcoming and hassle-free environment for tourists. All departments are working in close coordination to ensure timely assistance and necessary facilities without inconvenience,” he said.

Highlighting tourism as a key pillar of the region’s economy, the Minister said Jammu and Kashmir continues to attract visitors from across the country and abroad because of its natural beauty, rich cultural heritage and warm hospitality.

He added that sustained efforts are underway to strengthen tourism infrastructure, improve transport connectivity, enhance public amenities and promote new tourist destinations across the Union Territory.

The Minister also interacted individually with several tourists and sought feedback regarding their travel experience and arrangements. He assured that all genuine concerns raised by visitors would be addressed promptly by the administration. (NVI)

DGP Nalin Prabhat Releases Booklet on Terror-Related Investigations

Srinagar, May 7 (NVI): Director General of Police, Nalin Prabhat on Thursday released a booklet titled “Dos and Don’ts in Terror Related Investigations”, compiled by the State Investigation Agency (SIA).

Describing the booklet as a remarkable weapon and the bedrock for successful investigation in terror-related cases, the DGP emphasized its importance in strengthening professional investigative standards within the police force.

He urged all officers of Jammu and Kashmir Police to make effective use of the booklet while handling terror-related investigations to ensure better coordination, legal precision, and successful prosecution of cases.(NVI)

Live Shell Recovered During Search Operation in Samba; BDS Team Deployed

Indian Army jawan injured in Landmine Explosion Along LoC in Jammu and Kashmir
File Photo

Jammu, May 7 (NVII): A live shell was recovered during a search operation in Samba district of Jammu and Kashmir on Thursday, officials said.

The shell was found at Koulpur Devak area under the jurisdiction of Ramgarh police station at  during a search operation carried out by the Special Operations Group (SOG), they said.

Soon after the recovery, a Bomb Disposal Squad (BDS) team was rushed to the spot for examination and safe disposal of the shell, officials added.

Further details are awaited.(NVI)

India settles questions over sporting ties with Pakistan, lays down policy

Fans at a cricket match between India and Pakistan (file pic)
Fans at a cricket match between India and Pakistan (file pic)

New Delhi, May 7: Settling the question over sporting ties with Pakistan, India has codified its policy vis-à-vis the neighbouring country, reaffirming a strict prohibition on bilateral series while adopting a path of participation in international competitions.

The Policy Document of the Ministry of Sports provides for a comprehensive ban on bilateral sporting ties which has been in place for some time now.

At the same time, policy lays down that Pakistani competitors will be permitted to enter India for multi-national events. This is to ensure fulfillment of its responsibilities as a host for major international championships.

“With regard to international and multilateral events, in India or abroad, we are guided by the practices of international sports bodies and the interest of our own sportspersons. Accordingly, Indian teams and individual players will take part in international events that also have teams or players from Pakistan,” the document says.

“Similarly, Pakistani players and teams will be able to participate in such multilateral events hosted by India,” it adds.

But, “In so far as bilateral sports events in each other’s country are concerned, Indian teams will not be participating in competitions in Pakistan. Nor will we permit Pakistani teams to play in India,” the document says.

It may be noted that India has been refusing to have any sporting relations with Pakistan because of the latter’s use of terrorism against this country.

India has made it clear that terrorism and sports cannot go together. It has been underlining that Pakistan must shun cross-border terrorism to facilitate restoration of sports ties.

This was hardened in the aftermath of ghastly attack by three Pakistani terrorists in Pahalgam in Kashmir on April 22 last year, which prompted India to launch ‘Operation Sindoor’ to hit main terror bases in Pakistan on this day last year.

As part of this policy, India refuse to send its team to Pakistan when it hosted the T20 World Cup Cricket earlier this year.

As a result, the India matches to be held in Pakistan were shifted to Sri Lanka, including the one with Pakistan.

Importance of the policy:

Laying down of the policy assumes more significance as India aspires to become a premier global sports hub and is preparing to bid for the 2030 Commonwealth Games and the 2036 Olympics.

As part of this policy, the government of India is moving to simplify visa requirements for athletes, coaching staff, technical officials, and representatives from international federations.

“To position India as a preferred destination for hosting international sporting events, the visa process for sportspersons, team officials, technical personnel, and office bearers of International Sports Governing Bodies shall be simplified. In respect of office bearers of International Sports Governing Bodies, a multi entry visa shall be granted on priority basis for the duration of their official tenure, subject to a maximum period of five years. Due protocol and courtesies, as per established practice, shall be extended to the Heads of International Sports Governing Bodies during their visits to India,” the ministry document added.

Amit Shah Changes X Display Picture to ‘Operation Sindoor’, Salutes Armed Forces

New Delhi, May 7 (NVI): Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Thursday changed his display picture on social media platform X to “Operation Sindoor” and hailed the Indian armed forces for their “unparalleled valour” on the anniversary of the operation.

In a post on X, Shah said “Operation Sindoor” would remain a defining mission in India’s fight against terrorism and a reminder to enemies of the country’s striking capability.

“#OperationSindoor stands as an epochal mission of India that will always remind our enemies of the infallible striking power of our armed forces,” the home minister said.

He said history would remember the operation as a moment when the precision strike capability of the armed forces, accurate intelligence inputs of security agencies and strong political resolve came together to destroy terror infrastructure across the border following the Pahalgam terror attack.

“History will remember it as the day of the precise striking power of our armed forces, meticulous intelligence of our agencies, and resolute political will rising together as one to destroy each and every address of terror across the border that dared to cast an evil shadow on our citizens at Pahalgam,” Shah said.

The home minister further said the operation sent a strong message to India’s enemies that they could not evade the country’s reach.

“This day will continue to bring the dreadful message to our enemies that no matter where they hide, they cannot escape. They are always within our sight and the fierce wrath of our firepower,” he said.

Shah also paid tribute to the armed forces for their courage and sacrifice.

“On this day, I salute the unparalleled valour of our forces,” he added.(NVI)

EOW Files Chargesheet in HDFC Bank Fraud Case in Shopian

Srinagar, May 7 (NVI): The Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of the Crime Branch, Jammu and Kashmir, has filed a chargesheet in connection with an alleged large-scale financial fraud at the Shopian branch of HDFC Bank, officials said on Thursday.

The chargesheet in FIR No. 30/2025 was presented before the court of the Judicial Magistrate First Class, Shopian, under relevant provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) and the Information Technology Act, they said.

According to the Crime Branch, the case surfaced following a written complaint alleging financial irregularities at the bank branch.

Officials said the matter was subsequently transferred to the Crime Branch by the Police Headquarters (PHQ), J&K, for detailed investigation.

During the probe, several persons, including serving and former employees of the bank, were found allegedly involved in the fraud, the officials said.

Those arrested in the case include Adil Ayoub Ganai and Irfan Majeed Zargar, both former branch managers of HDFC Bank at Pulwama and Shopian, along with former bank employees Mubashir Hussain Sheikh, Zaid Manzoor and Javaid Ahmad Bhat, officials said.

They said the accused were arrested on February 18 this year and have remained in judicial custody since then.

The Crime Branch said that after completion of the investigation, a chargesheet against 11 accused persons was filed before the court for judicial determination.(NVI)

Justice Served”: Army Marks Operation Sindoor Anniversary, Calls Response ‘Precise, Resolute’
Army Releases Special Video on First Anniversary of Operation Sindoor; Reaffirms Commitment to Defending Sovereignty and Crushing Terror Networks

New Delhi, May 7 (NVI): Marking the first anniversary of Operation Sindoor, the Indian Army on Thursday released a special video describing India’s response to terrorism as “resolute, calibrated and precise” and reaffirmed its commitment to safeguarding the country’s sovereignty and citizens.

Sharing the video on social media with the caption “#JusticeServed”, the Army said the operation reflected India’s firm resolve against terrorism and its readiness to take decisive action whenever national security is threatened. The message concluded with “Jai Hind”.

Operation Sindoor was launched by India on May 7 last year in response to the April 22 Pahalgam terror attack in which 26 civilians, mostly tourists, were killed.

In retaliation, Indian forces carried out coordinated strikes on nine terror-linked sites in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, with officials later stating that over 100 terrorists were eliminated during the operation.

According to official details, the strikes targeted infrastructure linked to Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) in Bahawalpur and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in Muridke, besides multiple terror launchpads and facilities in Sialkot, Muzaffarabad, Kotli and Bhimber.

Following the strikes, Pakistan launched retaliatory drone and missile attacks targeting several Indian locations, including civilian areas, officials had said.

Indian defence forces, however, intercepted the attacks and continued focusing on identified military and terror-linked targets, they said.

The military confrontation lasted for three days before both sides reached an understanding to halt military actions on May 10 through hotline-level talks between senior Army officials.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, while addressing the nation after the operation last year, had described Operation Sindoor as India’s “new normal” against terrorism and asserted that the country would no longer tolerate terror attacks or “nuclear blackmail”.

He had also said that India would not differentiate between terrorists and those supporting or sheltering them, sending a strong message against cross-border terror infrastructure and its backers.

The Army’s anniversary video revisits the scale and significance of the operation, portraying it as one of India’s largest multi-domain combat missions in recent decades and a defining moment in the country’s counter-terror strategy.(NVI)

US military says it hit and ‘disabled’ Iranian-flagged Vessel in Gulf of Oman

American aircraft carrier USS George Bush deployed near the Strait of Hormuz
American aircraft carrier USS George Bush deployed near the Strait of Hormuz

New Delhi, May 6: The US military tonight said it has “disabled” an Iranian-flagged oil vessel in the Gulf of Oman by firing artillery at it for “violating” the blockade being enforced by America.

In a statement, US Central Command (CENTCOM) said its forces observed M/T Hasna as it transited international waters enroute to an Iranian port on the Gulf of Oman at around 9 AM Eastern Time on May 6.

“The American forces issued multiple warnings and informed the Iranian-flagged vessel it was in violation of the U.S. blockade,” it said.

“After Hasna’s crew failed to comply with repeated warnings, U.S. forces disabled the tanker’s rudder by firing several rounds from the 20 mm cannon gun of a U.S. Navy F/A-18 Super Hornet launched from USS Abraham Lincoln,” the statement said.

Hasna is no longer transiting to Iran, it added.

The U.S. blockade against ships attempting to enter or depart Iranian ports remains in full effect. CENTCOM forces continue to act deliberately and professionally to ensure compliance,” it said

SIA Attaches Property of PoJK-Based LeT Operative in Narco-Terror Case in Kupwara

Srinagar, May 6 (NVI): The State Investigation Agency (SIA) Kashmir on Wednesday attached immovable property of a Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir (PoJK)-based operative of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in connection with a narco-terror case, officials said.

The action relates to FIR No. 03/2023 registered at Police Station Anti Narcotics Task Force (ANTF), which was later transferred to the SIA for further investigation after the case revealed links to terror financing and cross-border narco-terror activities.

According to an official spokesperson, the accused, identified as Zameer Ahmad Lone, a resident of Mandiyan Keran in Kupwara, is currently operating from PoJK and has been actively involved in narco-terror activities aimed at disturbing peace and security in the Union Territory.

The accused had earlier been declared a proclaimed offender by a competent court for evading arrest and continuing anti-national activities from across the border, the spokesperson said.

Acting on a detailed application filed by the SIA, the court ordered attachment of the accused’s property after examining the evidence placed on record.

Subsequently, the agency attached immovable property measuring one kanal and 14.37 marlas under Khasra No. 113 at Mandiyan Keran in Kupwara district. The attachment was carried out by an SIA team in the presence of an Executive Magistrate and local revenue officials in accordance with legal procedures.

The spokesperson said the agency had earlier filed a charge sheet in the case after uncovering evidence related to narco-smuggling, terror financing and cross-border links.

The action reflects the agency’s continued efforts to dismantle the ecosystem of terrorism, including networks involved in terror funding and narco-terror operations, officials said.

They added that the SIA, in coordination with other agencies, remains committed to taking strict legal action against individuals involved in activities prejudicial to the sovereignty and security of the country, while also supporting initiatives aimed at curbing drug abuse.(NVI)

Border Villages Are India’s First Line of Strength’: LG Manoj Sinha Launches Development Push in Samba
Lays foundation for key projects in Regal; focus on connectivity, livelihoods and infrastructure under Vibrant Villages Programme

Jammu, May 6 (NVI): Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Wednesday rolled out a series of development initiatives in Regal village of Samba district, asserting that border areas are no longer on the margins but at the centre of India’s growth narrative.

Addressing a public gathering, Sinha said border villages represent courage and resilience, adding that under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, they are now being recognised as the country’s “first villages” instead of the last.

During his visit, the Lieutenant Governor laid foundation stones for multiple projects, including a digital library at Government Primary School Regal, a community hall-cum-recreation centre, development of an Amrit Sarovar with drainage facilities, installation of open gyms and solar street lighting.

He said the administration is committed to transforming border settlements by prioritising infrastructure, livelihood opportunities and connectivity, bringing them into the mainstream of development.

Highlighting the Vibrant Villages Programme, Sinha said the Centre is adopting a comprehensive approach to ensure saturation in key areas such as all-weather road connectivity, telecom services, television access and electrification.

He stressed the need for a “whole-of-government approach” to meet development targets and directed officials to ensure every household in border villages has access to electricity, communication networks and economic opportunities.

Setting a target, he said efforts are underway to ensure that no family in Samba’s border villages remains below the poverty line by 2030.

Responding to local demands, the Lieutenant Governor reiterated the administration’s commitment to granting land ownership rights to displaced persons from PoJK and West Pakistan Refugees.

He also said the completion of the Shahpur Kandi Dam project will significantly enhance agricultural productivity in the region.

Sinha praised Regal for achieving TB-free status and called for sustained efforts towards clean drinking water and combating drug abuse.

During the visit, he also distributed appointment orders to SPOs and sanction letters to youth beneficiaries under various schemes, including HADP and Mission Yuva.

The Lieutenant Governor later visited a Border Out Post and interacted with security personnel, appreciating their role in safeguarding the nation’s frontiers. (NVI)

MUST READ