Thursday, May 21, 2026
Home Blog Page 1364

Coronavirus outbreak: Over 2,000 Indians stranded in Sri Lanka

New Delhi (NVI): Over 2,000 Indians are stranded in Sri Lanka, which has reported one death and 120 positive cases so far due to coronavirus.

The Indian nationals are among the 16,900 foreign tourists stuck in Sri Lanka due to the lockdown imposed by the government, according to the Sri Lanka Tourism and Development Authority.

The island nation stopped flight arrivals in all its airports on March 17. The country has been on a near-total shutdown and travel between districts has also been banned.

Meanwhile, Sri Lanka’s Health Promotion Bureau said today that the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country has risen to 120.

The coronavirus contagion has claimed the life of a 65-year-old patient, who had diabetes and renal health complications, according to the country’s Health Ministry officials.

Govt launches ‘Stranded in India’ portal to help foreign tourists

500 Germans stranded in India were flown back last week

New Delhi (NVI): The Ministry of Tourism has launched ‘Stranded in India’ portal to help foreign tourists stuck in various parts of the country due to COVID-19 lockdown.

The online portal, which is also available on incredibleindia.org, will help such foreign nationals in finding the information they may need to stay safe and travel back home.

“Stranded in India because of the #COVID19? Visit http://strandedinindia.com, an initiative of the Ministry of Tourism, Govt of India to find the information you may need to stay safe & also travel back home. The link is also available on http://incredibleindia.org,” the Ministry tweeted today.


The country is currently under a 21-day lockdown to combat coronavirus from spreading. The lockdown kicked in on March 25 and will go on till April 14.

Countries around the world are trying to fly out their citizens who are stranded amid the coronavirus pandemic. On Thursday last, over 500 German citizens, who were stranded in India due to the nationwide lockdown, were flown back to their country.

Annual renewable energy investments must double by 2030: IRENA

New Delhi (NVI): The world has invested USD 3 trillion in renewables over the last 10 years, but annual investments in this sector must double by 2030 to ensure a sustainable future, according to the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).

Since 2010, Renewable Energy (RE) has advanced to the center-ground of global energy and development policy. Renewables have become the world’s primary source of new power capacity, outpacing all other forms of new generation put together, says the global agency in a report.

In this context, a booklet produced by IRENA for its 10th Assembly charts global advances over the past decade and outlines key objectives for a new Decade of Action. The graphs and data used in the booklet underline the progress achieved and illuminate the road ahead for renewables.

In its report, IRENA says that renewable energy solutions are affordable, readily and deployable at scale. It’s possible to scale up renewables, achieve sustainable development and meet key climate goals, it says.

Here are the key findings by IRENA with respect to clean power generation:

• Renewables can become the world’s primary source of power generation.

• Renewable power could become the most competitive option based on costs alone.

• Off-grid renewables will help reduce the world’s energy access gap.

• The global energy transformation means net gains in job creation.

• Innovation will accelerate the global energy transformation.

• Renewables must grow faster to meet climate goals.

• Annual investments must double by 2030 to ensure a sustainable future.

10-yr-old boy among 6 tested positive for COVID19 in Kashmir, toll 55

Mubashir Bukhari

Srinagar (NVI): A 10-year-old boy is among six persons who were tested positive for coronavirus in Kashmir today, taking the total number of cases in Jammu and Kashmir to 55.

“6 new positive cases confirmed in Kashmir Division. All contacts of previous positive cases. Meanwhile contact tracing continues in both Jammu and Kashmir Divisions. Please cooperate. Let’s #Fightittogether,” J&K Spokesperson, Rohit Kansal said in a tweet.

The boy hailing from Srinagar’s Eidgah area has been admitted at SKIMS, Soura with no travel history. The boy had come into contact with a person affiliated with Tableegi Jamat who was suffering from coronavirus when he visited a mosque in the area.

A family member of the confirmed case said that the boy had shaken hands with a religious preacher in Eidgah mosque and after that, he developed symptoms.

Two other persons, who have tested positive are presently admitted at JNLM hospital Srinagar.

Yesterday, 11 persons were tested positive for COVID-19 including a doctor in Jammu.

Meanwhile, the government has said that several areas surrounding the location of COVID-19 cases or untraced contact cases had to be sealed in Jammu, Srinagar, Pulwama, Shopian, and Rajouri in the interest of controlling the spread of the dreaded disease.

“Aggressive contact tracing of positive cases key to control spread of #Coronavirus. Yesterday several areas surrounding location of positive cases or untraced contact cases had to be sealed in Jammu, Srinagar, Pulwama, Shopian, Rajouri,” tweeted Kansal.

“This is purely in the interest of controlling the spread of #coronavirus, and helping identification of contacts on real-time basis,” Kansal, who is also Principal Secretary, Planning, J&K.

“Inconvenience so caused is temporary in nature but benefits will be immense. Request all to cooperate and take it in the right spirit,” he said.

J&K: 78 people complete 14-day quarantine, allowed to go home

Mubashir Bukhari

Srinagar (NVI): The first batch of 78 persons completed their quarantine period today at Hotel Heemal in Srinagar and were allowed to go home, the Jammu and Kashmir administration said.

Additional Deputy Commissioner and In-charge Quarantine Centers, Srinagar, Syed Hanief Balki said that these people have completed their 14-day quarantine period and are in good health.

These people had returned from Leh and were put under quarantine in Srinagar to complete the mandatory quarantine period.

Those who were allowed to go home belong to various parts of Kashmir and had come from Leh before being put under this facility in Srinagar.

“These people are being provided with transport to home. They will be ferried in our SRTC buses so that they face no inconvenience in reaching home,” Balki said.

As a precautionary measure to limit the spread of coronavirus, hundreds of travelers, including students, who arrived in Jammu and Kashmir from other countries, primarily from Bangladesh, were isolated soon upon their arrival and then shifted to the quarantine facilities.

More than 90 quarantine facilities have been identified and established in Srinagar. More 2000 persons returning from outside countries so far have been accommodated in these facilities.

Bangladesh likely to extend public holidays till Apr 9

Bangla PM raises Teesta river issue with Modi

New Delhi (NVI): Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has said that general holidays in the country may be extended from March 31 to April 9 to keep the coronavirus from spreading.

She also said that keeping in view the crisis situation emerging out of the pandemic, the Bangladesh government may give relaxation to some sectors on a limited basis.

Apart from this, the Bangladesh government has announced that there will be no public programs to mark Bangla New Year ‘Pahela Baisakh’ on April 14.

In a similar fashion, the Nepal government has also canceled its Kathmandu festival celebrations, to avoid any gatherings.

Meanwhile, 2 new cases have been reported in the country taking the total number of positive cases to 52 with a total death toll of 5, with no new fatalities being reported, according to United News of Bangladesh.

India, China may not be hit economically as bad as other developing nations: UNCTAD

New Delhi (NVI):  Possibly barring India and China, developing countries are expected to be in serious economic trouble as coronavirus is pushing the world into recession with a predicted loss of trillions of dollars, according to UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).

The UNCTAD estimates a $2 trillion to $3 trillion financing gap facing developing countries over the next two years.

“The world economy will go into recession this year with a predicted loss of global income in the trillions of dollars. This will spell serious trouble for developing countries, with the likely exception of China and the possible exception of India,” the UNCTAD said in a report.

“The speed at which the economic shockwaves from the pandemic has hit developing countries is dramatic, even in comparison to the 2008 global financial crisis,” the global body said.

The United Nations has called for a US$2.5 trillion rescue package for developing countries countries (excluding China), which are facing an unprecedented economic damage from the COVID-19 crisis, to turn expressions of international solidarity into meaningful global action.

The report shows that in the two months since the virus began spreading beyond China, developing countries have taken an enormous hit in terms of capital outflows, growing bond spreads, currency depreciation and lost export earnings, including from falling commodity prices and declining tourist revenues.

Portfolio outflows from main emerging economies surged to $59 billion in a month between February and March, calculations show. This is more than double the outflows experienced by the same countries in the immediate aftermath of the global financial crisis ($26.7 billion).

The values of their currencies against the dollar have fallen between 5% and 25% since the beginning of this year – faster than the early months of the global financial crisis.

The prices of commodities, on which many developing countries heavily depend on their foreign exchange, have also dropped precipitously since the crisis began. The overall price decline has been 37% this year, according to the report.

“The economic fallout from the shock is ongoing and increasingly difficult to predict, but there are clear indications that things will get much worse for developing economies before they get better,” UNCTAD Secretary-General Mukhisa Kituyi said.

Advanced economies have promised to do ‘whatever it takes’ to stop their firms and households from taking a heavy loss of income,” said Richard Kozul-Wright, UNCTAD’s director of globalization and development strategies.

He added, “But if G20 leaders are to stick to their commitment of ‘a global response in the spirit of solidarity,’ there must be commensurate action for the six billion people living outside the core G20 economies.”

The death toll due to coronavirus outbreak has surged past 35,000 while the number of confirmed cases topped 750,000, globally, the report said.

Validity of vehicle-related documents extended till June 30

New Delhi (NVI): Amid nationwide lockdown over novel coronavirus, the Central government today extended the validity of documents like driving licenses, permits and registration that expired since February 1.

In an advisory to all states and Union Territories, the Ministry of Road and Transport has asked them to treat such documents as valid till June 30.

The government took the decision to facilitate people facing difficulties in renewing the validity of various motor vehicle documents due to nationwide lockdown and closure of government transport offices.

The documents include fitness, permits (all types), driving licence, registration or any other concerned document under the Motor Vehicle Rules.

The advisory also states that all the state governments should implement the advisory in “letter and spirit” so that the people and transporters and organisations rendering essential services do not get harassed and face difficulties.

Meanwhile, the central government on Monday said that there are no plans to extend the current 21-day lockdown which came into force on March 24, 2020.

However , the 21-day lockdown, will continue till April 14, aimed to curb the spread of coronavirus.

After Ramayan, Shaktimaan to return on Doordarshan

New Delhi (NVI): Doordarshan is all set to bring back 5 more of its popular television series. After Ramayana and Mahabharat, DD will be telecasting Chanakya, Upanishad Ganga, Shaktimaan, Shriman Shrimati and Krishna Kali from the first week of April.

Meanwhile, the public service broadcaster, DD Bharti, has already started re-telecasting of Ramayan, Mahabharat, Byomkesh Bakshi, Hum Hain Na, Tu Tota Main Maina and Circus.

This moves comes after the entire nation has been put under a 21-day lockdown from March 24, in a move to curb the spread of coronavirus contagion.

According to Doordarshan, Shaktimaan will be re-telecasted at 1pm for an hour, everyday.

Similarly, Chandraprakash Dwivedi’s acclaimed Chanakya and Upanishad Ganga is also scheduled for afternoon slots on a daily basis. Produced by Markand Adhikar, comedy series Shriman Shrimati is scheduled for a comeback on DD National in the 2pm slot.

Krishna Kali, on the other hand, will be aired after in the evening at 8pm.

Furthermore, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has issued an advisory for all the DTH/Cable operators to show all the DD Channels as well as Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha Channels as per the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act.

Non carriage of these channels is liable for action under Section 11, 12 and 18 of the Act.

Financial Year not being extended, says govt

New Delhi (NVI): The government has clarified that the financial year beginning from April 1, 2020 has not been extended to July 1, 2020, as is being claimed by some social media websites.

This is a fake news that is being circulated in some sections of the media.

The Finance Ministry also tweeted in this regard saying, ” A notification issued by Govt of India on 30.03.2020 with respect to some other amendments done in Indian Stamp Act is being misquoted. There is no extension of the financial year.”

There is no extension of the Financial Year.

The Finance ministry said that a notification has been issued by the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance on March 30 which pertains to putting in place an efficient mechanism for collection of Stamp Duty on Security Market Instruments transactions through Stock Exchanges or Clearing Corporation authorized by Stock Exchanges Depositories.

This change was earlier notified to be implemented from April 1, 2020.

However, due to the prevailing situation, it has been decided that the date of implementation will now be postponed to July 1, 2020.

MUST READ