Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Home Blog Page 1368

Kashmiri boy’s website to help Valley students learn amid lockdown

Mubashir Bukhari

Srinagar (NVI): With educational institutions closed due to COVID19 pandemic, a teenaged boy from Baramulla district of Kashmir has developed an online teaching portal for students of the valley.

Abid Ali Sofi, 18, who hails from Sopore town of Baramulla district, is helping so many home-bound students amid coronavirus crises.

Abid has developed ‘Blooming Dales’- an interactive website to teach students from classes 2nd to 10th online. He has spent Rs 5,000 from his pocket to develop this website that can even work on low-internet speed.

“When government closed all the institutions in Kashmir due to COVID19, students were sitting home, without anyone helping them. I got the idea of making some online platform, where they can learn something,” Abid told NVI in an exclusive chat.

Abid Ali Sofi

Presently, around 10 teachers have registered with him and 50 more teachers have agreed to work with him free of cost.

To begin with they are teaching Science, English, English grammar and Communication skills to students online. Students from Class 2nd till 10th can get the online coaching in these subjects.

Abid said one of the main reasons, why he was compelled to start an imitative like this was to restrict the movement of students to private tutors. “I saw most of the students going for private tuitions. But assembly of more people is dangerous, so that’s why I thought of starting something for student community,” he said.

Abid is now planning to open his Facebook page to spread word about this website, so that more and more students are connected to him.

He said whosoever wants to get connected to us they have to go the website, “they have to signup first, then we provide them User ID and password and once he/she logs in into the website, all the courses get unlocked,” Abid said.

To be part of this initiative to help the students, many teachers from Srinagar, north and south Kashmir have joined hands.

Bangladesh airs school lessons amid Covid-19 outbreak

New Delhi (NVI): In a bid to keep children learning in the country amid the coronavirus outbreak, Bangladesh today started broadcasting pre-recorded class lessons for secondary students.

The Bangladesh government has taken the step to minimise academic session loss as the educational institutions are closed. in the country due to coronavirus pandemic, The Daily Star reported.

The television lessons have been named as ‘my school at home’, by the Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education (DSHE), Daily Star reported, adding that the classes began at 9 AM with the Bangladesh national anthem.

In another development, the Bangladesh Army has said that its troops will continue to be on the streets until the government recalls it. The troops are currently deployed across the country to ensure social distancing among the people.

Meanwhile, Bangladesh has reported 48 confirmed coronavirus cases so far, with five deaths.

COVID-19: IAS, IPS, IRS associations to contribute to PM relief fund

New Delhi (NVI): Standing up together in the fight against COVID-19 outbreak, the IAS, IPS and IRS associations have decided to contribute their one day salary to the Prime Minister’s relief fund.

“All India Indian Revenue Service Association is thankful to the Hon’ble Prime Minister for leading from the front the unprecedented efforts aimed at containing the adverse effects of pandemic Covid-19,” read a statement by the Indian Revenue Service (IRS) association.

“We are also grateful to the Hon’ble Finance Minister for the announcement of large-scale relief efforts aimed at mitigating distress and suffering of those who live at the margins of society,” it added.

Indian Police Service (IPS) Association also contributed to the fund. “Central IPS Association @IPS_Association is making a humble contribution of Rs. 21 Lakhs to the #PMCaresFund. IPS Officers will contribute minimum one day’s salary also at their respective places of work. We are committed to deal with #covid19, whatever it takes,” the association said in a tweet.

Indian Administrative Service (IAS) Association, while announcing the contribution of one day salary by its members tweeted: “@IASassociation decides to contribute Rs. 21 lakhs to the PM-CARES Fund as its initial contribution to combat COVID 19. All members to contribute at least a day’s salary also. We shall leave no stone unturned to ensure that we win this fight against #COVID19. WE SHALL OVERCOME,” the association said in a tweet.

Apart from that, the employees of the Ministry of Defence have also volunteered to contribute their one day salary to the PM-CARES fund. Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh approved a proposal in this regard today.

“It is estimated that around Rs 500 crore will be collectively provided by the Defence Ministry to the fund from various wings, including Army, Navy, Air Force, Defence PSUs and others,” The Ministry of Defence said in a statement.

Many government organisations and PSUs in the country have contributed to the PM-CARES Fund to fight Covid-19.

At an individual level, Bollywood stars and cricket celebrities have also contributed to the fund, in a bid to help the government in making arrangements for food, medicine, ventilators, etc.

Lockdown violators to be sent to 14-day quarantine: Govt

New Delhi (NVI): Those who have violated the lockdown and traveled during the period of lockdown will be subject to minimum 14 days of quarantine in government quarantine facilities, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said in an official statement here today.

The decision is part of the Centre’s directions to States to ensure no movement of people across the cities, amid the 21-day lockdown to prevent Covid-19 from spreading.

“Detailed instructions on monitoring of such persons during quarantine have been issued to States,” the Government said in a statement.

“Cabinet secretary and MHA are in constant touch with State Chief Secretaries and DGPs. Video Conferences were held by Cabinet Secretary & Home Secretary yesterday evening and today morning with Chief Secretaries & DGPs,” the statement released by I&B Ministry read.

India is under a 21-day lockdown from March 25 to April 14 to combat COVID-19 which has claimed 25 lives in the country so far, with 979 cases reported so far.

Pakistan deploys troops, closes borders to tackle COVID-19

Pakistani Army soldiers (File Pic)

New Delhi (NVI): Pakistan has said that it has deployed troops across the country to assist the civil administration in combating COVID-19 and monitor all entry and exit points.

Reports in Pak media quoted ISPR (Inter Services Public Relations) as saying that efforts in this direction have been taken by the Pakistan army.

Pakistan has deployed military in Kotli, Bhimber, Mirpur, Bagh, Rawalakot, Muzaffarabad and other areas in PoK while the forces are also deployed in nine districts of Balochistan province, the Pak media said.

Meanwhile, the neighboring country has confirmed 1,526 COVID-19 cases so far with 14 deaths, reports Dawn.

28 people have recovered from the disease in Pakistan so far. Apart from that, 469 cases have been reported from Sindh, 570 from Punjab, from Islamabad, 138 from Balochistan, 188 from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, 2 from PoK and 116 from Gilgit Baltistan.

MP: 50 quarantined at BSF academy after officer tests positive

(File)

New Delhi (NVI): As many as 50 BSF personnel have been placed under quarantine at the BSF Academy in Tekanpur in Gwalior after an officer was tested positive for COVID-19.

He was posted as a supervisory officer at a BSF quarantine centre in Tekanpur, MP. According to reports, the officer attended 4 meetings from Mar 15-19 where he met other ADG, IG rank officers. His wife had returned from UK 15 days ago. All officers who came in his contact and his wife are under quarantine
now.

Soon after the confirmation, Senior BSF officials, including the academy directors as well the officer who tested positive, attended a meeting where all necessary steps were taken to prevent any kind of contagion among the personnel.

The BSF academy has been directed to establish a quarantine center for 250 beds. The Subsidiary Training Centre (STC) BSF has also been directed to establish another quarantine center for 200 beds.

COVID-19 global death toll crosses 30k mark, overall 6,40,589 cases

Germany has activated their flying ICU plane, an Airbus A310 MedEvac, to fly corona patients from Italy to hospitals in Germany. (Source: Twitter @TosinOlugbenga)

New Delhi (NVI): The total number of coronavirus deaths in the world rose to 30, 249 today while overall cases surged 6,40,589.

The US has emerged as the new hotbed of fresh coronavirus cases with 115,547 cases, according to Johns Hopkins University’s Coronavirus Resource Centre.

In another sad news from the US, an infant has died from the disease, making it the first such fatality from COVID-19, of a child younger than a year old.

As per reports in foreign media, two-thirds of the corona deaths have occurred in Europe. Around 21,334 people have died in Europe, with Italy reporting the highest number of fatalities at 10,023 deaths, followed by Spain with 5,690.

Here is a list of countries affected by the pandemic and number of deaths:

Italy: 10,023
Spain: 5,982
China: 3,295
Iran: 2,517
France: 2,314
US: 2,227
UK: 1,028
Netherlands: 640
Germany: 433
Belgium: 353
Switzerland: 271
South Korea: 152
Brazil: 114
Sweden: 112
Turkey: 108
Indonesia: 102
Portugal: 100
Austria: 68
Philippines: 68

(Source: The Spectator Index)

Jodhpur Army facility receives another batch of Indians from Iran

Jaipur (NVI): Another batch of 275 Indians, evacuated from Iran, was brought to the Army Wellness facility at Jodhpur today. This is the second batch of Indian nationals at the Jodhpur facility in Rajasthan, created by the Army under its ‘Operation Namaste’.

“275 #Indians from #Iran brought to #IndianArmy Wellness Facility at #Jodhpur today. Facility created under #OperationNamaste fully equipped to provide #Medical & Adm support during quarantine period,” PRO Defence, Rajasthan tweeted.

Before this, 277 Indians airlifted from Iran had arrived at the Jodhpur facility on Wednesday. The well-equipped facility has been set up at Jodhpur Military Station in coordination with Rajasthan Medical Authorities and Civil Administration.

Apart from Jodhpur, another army facility has been set up at Jaisalmer where Indians evacuated from Iran have been kept.

Iran is one of the worst COVI-19 affected countries in the world where the death toll due to the pandemic has crossed 2,000 mark.

Kashmir reports 2nd Covid death, total 38 cases so far

CDH Hospital in Srinagar (File)

Mubashir Bukhari

Srinagar (NVI): Kashmir reported a second death from COVID-19 today, a 52-year-old man from Tanmag area of Baramulla, who succumbed to the disease at Government CD Hospital here.

With this, the total number of cases has reached 38 in the Union Territory as five more were tested positive today.

JK Government spokesperson Rohit Kansal said that two persons from Srinagar, two from Budgam and one person from Baramulla have been tested positive.

“5 more positives cases confirmed in Kashmir -2 from Srinagar, 2 Budgam, 1 Baramulla,” Kansal said in a tweet.

The man who died at Srinagar’s CD hospital today was not properly isolated by doctors at SMHS hospital, informed sources said.

The man was tested positive yesterday. Doctors have claimed that he had no travel history or contact with any COVID-19 patient.

On Thursday last, a 65-year-old from Hyderpora died of the disease, making it the first case of death due to Coronavirus.

Yesterday, Kashmir reported a total of 33 coronavirus cases. Around 13 people were tested positive for the virus yesterday.

The UT administration has informed that 5,919 travellers and persons in contact with suspected cases have been put under surveillance so far.

As per the Media Bulletin on novel coronavirus released yesterday, 3,535 persons have been kept under home quarantine (including facilities operated by Govt) while 227 are in hospital quarantine.

COVID-19: Five more test positive in J&K, total cases reach 33

Mubashir Bukhari

Srinagar (NVI): Five more people have been tested positive for coronavirus in Jammu and Kashmir this evening, taking the total number of positive cases to 33.

J&K government spokesperson, Rohit Kansal said that five more persons- two in Srinagar and three in Jammu have been tested positive.

“Hardly do I finish my press briefing -28 cases-that I get more unpleasant news -5 new positive cases- 2 in Srinagar, 3 in Jammu- all contacts of previously positive ones; All Jammu cases asymptomatic. We are at 33 now,” Kansal said in a tweet.

Earlier in the day, eight persons were tested positive for coronavirus in Kashmir.

Till now in Jammu and Kashmir, there are 33 positive cases among which 30 are active, two have recovered, one died.

23 active cases are from Kashmir and 7 from Jammu.

The Government informed that 5919 travellers and persons in contact with suspected cases have been put under surveillance so far.

As per the daily Media Bulletin on novel coronavirus, 3535 persons have been kept under home quarantine (including facilities operated by Govt) while as 227 are in hospital quarantine.

Persons who are under home surveillance stand at 1525 while as 632 persons have completed their 28-day surveillance period.

It said that 486 samples have been sent for testing of which 486 tested as negative. The bulletin further stated.

MUST READ