Monday, May 18, 2026
Home Blog Page 4

Crime Branch Raids Multiple Locations in Kashmir in Land Fraud Case

Srinagar, May 14 (NVI): The Crime Branch of Jammu and Kashmir on Thursday conducted raids at several locations in Srinagar and Budgam districts in connection with an alleged land fraud case, officials said.

The case was registered under FIR No. 06/2026 at the Special Crime Wing Kashmir under sections 420, 468 and 120-B RPC following a complaint by a resident of Humhama in Budgam district.

According to officials, the complainant alleged that an accused identified as Tariq Ahmad Sofi had duped him of lakhs of rupees on the pretext of selling a piece of land at Narkara in Budgam district.
During investigation, the Crime Branch found prima facie evidence suggesting that Tariq Ahmad Sofi of Tulsi Bagh, Srinagar, along with another accused, Tariq Ahmad Wani of Narkara, allegedly prepared forged documents in connivance with a former patwari to facilitate the fraudulent land transaction, officials said.

They said the accused, allegedly operating as land brokers, entered into a criminal conspiracy to cheat the complainant and misappropriate money linked to the deal.

Officials said searches were conducted in the presence of Executive Magistrates to seize incriminating material and collect evidence related to the case.

The Crime Branch also advised people to remain cautious while dealing in property matters and urged victims of fraud to report such incidents to the Special Crime Wing Kashmir.(NVI)

LG Manoj Sinha Inaugurates ‘Shaurya Gatha’ Complex in Tangdhar to Boost Battlefield Tourism

Srinagar, May 14 (NVI): Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Thursday inaugurated the ‘Shaurya Gatha’ Complex at SM Hill in Tangdhar area of Karnah in Kupwara district, aimed at promoting battlefield tourism, preserving military heritage and boosting development in border areas.

Addressing the inaugural ceremony, Sinha said the complex stands as a tribute to the valour and sacrifices of Indian soldiers who laid down their lives in defence of the nation.

“The dedication of our forces and people is the true strength of the nation. The Shaurya Gatha Complex stands as a tribute to the courage and sacrifice of Indian soldiers,” he said.

The Lieutenant Governor said the initiative would create new opportunities for tourism, homestays, local crafts and youth entrepreneurship in the border region.

He lauded the Army, including Northern Command and Chinar Corps, along with engineers, workers and local residents for completing the project within a short span of time.

Sinha said Jammu and Kashmir was witnessing an era of peace, prosperity and development, while drawing a contrast with Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir (PoJK), which he said continued to suffer due to neglect and misgovernance.

“Jammu and Kashmir was, is and will always remain an integral part of India,” he asserted.

Highlighting ongoing development initiatives in border areas, the Lieutenant Governor said seven villages in Tangdhar-Karnah had been included under the Vibrant Village Programme to improve infrastructure, livelihoods and overall quality of life.

He also said the proposed Sadhna Tunnel would significantly improve all-weather connectivity, security and economic activity in the region by facilitating trade, healthcare, education and disaster response.

Sinha urged people from across the country to visit the Shaurya Gatha Complex and explore the offbeat destinations of Kupwara district.

The Lieutenant Governor also appreciated the Army’s contribution to the ‘Nasha Mukt Jammu Kashmir’ campaign and expressed concern over attempts to push narcotics into the region through cross-border smuggling routes.

“Tangdhar remains a strategic location where our neighbour persistently attempts to escalate narco-smuggling activities,” he said, adding that enhanced infrastructure in the area would strengthen efforts against drug smuggling.

He called upon the police and security agencies to maintain strict vigilance to ensure that no illegal drugs enter the territory.

Among those present on the occasion were Pratik Sharma, Balbir Singh, Karnah MLA Javaid Ahmad Mirchal and senior officers from the Army, civil administration, police and security forces.(NVI)

Police Attach Property of Hizbul Terror Handler Operating From Pakistan in Sopore

Srinagar, May 14 (NVI): Police on Thursday attached an immovable property worth around ₹20 lakh belonging to an accused operating as a terror handler from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) in north Kashmir’s Sopore area, officials said.

The attached property comprises 10 marlas of land located in Kehnusa area of Bandipora district and belongs to Majid Ahmad Sofi alias Bisati, a resident of New Colony Sopore.

According to police, the action was taken in connection with FIR No. 307/2023 registered at Police Station Sopore under various sections of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA), Arms Act and Explosive Substances Act.

Investigations have revealed that Sofi is presently operating from Pakistan/PoK as a terror handler affiliated with the banned outfit Hizbul Mujahideen and was allegedly involved in facilitating and orchestrating terrorist activities in the Kashmir Valley, officials said.

The property attachment was carried out in the presence of an Executive Magistrate, revenue officials and independent witnesses after completion of legal formalities under law.

Police said the action is part of an ongoing crackdown aimed at dismantling the terror ecosystem, choking terror funding and disrupting logistical support networks linked to terrioist organisations.

Officials said strict legal action will continue against individuals involved in terrorism, terror financing, harbouring terrorists or providing support to banned outfits.(NVI)

India Condemns Attack on Indian-Flagged Ship Off Oman Coast, Crew Safe

New Delhi, May 14 (NVI): India on Thursday strongly condemned the attack on an Indian-flagged commercial vessel off the coast of Oman, calling the incident “unacceptable” and expressing concern over continued attacks on civilian maritime traffic.

In an official statement, Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson said India deplores the targeting of commercial shipping and civilian mariners, stressing that such actions pose a threat to freedom of navigation and global commerce.

The government confirmed that all Indian crew members aboard the vessel are safe and thanked the Omani authorities for carrying out rescue operations promptly.

“India reiterates that targeting commercial shipping and endangering innocent civilian crew members, or otherwise impeding freedom of navigation and commerce, should be avoided,” the spokesperson said.

The incident comes amid growing security concerns in key international shipping routes in the region.(NVI)

NIA Files Chargesheet Against 10 in Red Fort Car Bomb Blast Case
11 Killed in 2025 VBIED Explosion; AQIS-Linked AGuH Module, Radicalised Medical Professionals Named in Probe

New Delhi, May 14 (NVI): National Investigation Agency on Thursday filed a 7,500-page chargesheet against 10 accused in connection with the 2025 Red Fort area car bomb explosion case that killed 11 people and injured several others in the national capital.

The chargesheet was filed before the NIA Special Court at Patiala House Courts under various provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, Explosive Substances Act, Arms Act and Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act.

According to the agency, the high-intensity Vehicle-Borne Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED) blast took place near Red Fort on November 10, 2025, causing extensive damage besides loss of lives.

The NIA said all 10 accused, including the alleged mastermind Dr. Umer Un Nabi, who died in the blast, were linked to Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind, an offshoot of Al-Qaida in the Indian Subcontinent.

Besides Nabi, those named in the chargesheet include Aamir Rashid Mir, Jasir Bilal Wani, Dr. Muzamil Shakeel, Dr. Adeel Ahmed Rather, Dr. Shaheen Saeed, Mufti Irfan Ahmad Wagay, Soyab, Dr. Bilal Naseer Malla and Yasir Ahmad Dar.

Investigators said the accused were part of a larger conspiracy aimed at promoting violent jihadist ideology and destabilising the Indian government. The agency alleged that during a secret meeting in Srinagar in 2022, the group reorganised itself as “AGuH Interim” after a failed attempt to travel to Afghanistan via Turkey.

According to the NIA, the group launched “Operation Heavenly Hind”, under which it recruited members, propagated extremist ideology, stockpiled arms and ammunition, and manufactured explosives using commercially available chemicals.

The agency said the explosive used in the blast was Triacetone Triperoxide (TATP), prepared through clandestine procurement of chemicals and repeated experimentation.

The probe, spread across Jammu and Kashmir, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Delhi-NCR, included 588 witness statements, over 395 documents and more than 200 material exhibits.

The NIA said forensic evidence, including DNA fingerprinting, confirmed the identity of Nabi. Investigators also recovered evidence related to illegal procurement of weapons such as AK-47 rifles, Krinkov rifles and pistols, besides experiments involving drone-mounted and rocket-based IEDs.

A total of 11 people have been arrested in the case so far, while efforts are underway to trace other absconding accused, the agency said.(NVI)

J&K High Court Denies Bail to Repeat Drug Offender, Calls for ‘Zero Leniency’ in NDPS Cases

Jammu, May 14 (NVI): The High Court of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh has advocated a policy of “zero leniency” against habitual drug offenders, observing that public interest and societal welfare must outweigh personal liberty in cases involving repeat narcotics offenders.

While rejecting a bail application in a heroin recovery case, Justice Rajesh Sekhri said repeated involvement in drug-related offences indicates a strong likelihood of reoffending, making such accused ineligible for lenient consideration under the law.

The court observed that the increasing menace of drug trafficking, particularly among the youth, poses a serious threat to society and warrants a strict judicial approach in matters related to bail under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.

The High Court noted that accused persons with multiple pending cases of a similar nature often fail to satisfy the stringent conditions prescribed under the NDPS Act for grant of bail, especially when their criminal antecedents suggest a possibility of continuing involvement in narcotics activities.

Refusing bail in a case involving recovery of a commercial quantity of heroin, the court said that protection of public health, societal morality and the fight against organised drug crimes must take precedence over individual liberty in appropriate cases.

The observations came during the hearing of a bail plea filed by an accused allegedly involved in repeated narcotics offences. (NVI)

NEET Paper Leak Probe Must Be Transparent, Guilty Should Face Strict Action: Sakina Itoo

File Photo : Sakina Itoo, Minister for Social Welfare, Health, and Education

Srinagar, May 14 (NVI): Jammu and Kashmir Health and Medical Education Minister Sakina Itoo on Thursday said the investigation into the alleged NEET-UG paper leak case must be conducted in a transparent manner and those involved should be punished strictly.

Reacting to the controversy surrounding the medical entrance examination, Itoo said the issue has raised serious concerns among students and parents across the country and stressed the need for a fair and impartial probe.

She said deserving students should not suffer because of the actions of a few individuals and urged the investigating agencies to ensure accountability at every level.

“The investigation must be transparent and strict action should be taken against all those responsible for compromising the integrity of the examination system,” the minister said.

Her remarks come amid an ongoing probe into the alleged NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case, in which several arrests and detentions have been made by investigating agencies, including the Central Bureau of Investigation, across multiple states.(NVI)

3 Illegal Shops Razed in Kulgam’s Frisal During Anti-Drug Drive

Kulgam, May 14 (NVI): Authorities on Thursday demolished three illegally constructed shops in the Channigam area of Frisal in south Kashmir’s Kulgam district as part of an intensified crackdown against the narcotics network.

Officials said that the action was carried out in a joint operation by Kulgam Police and the civil administration targeting properties linked to drug-related activities.

They said the demolished structures belonged to an accused booked under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act. The officials further stated that the shops had been constructed without obtaining the mandatory land-use permission from the concerned authorities.

Officials asserted that the anti-drug campaign will continue across the district and warned that strict action would be taken against persons involved in narcotics trade and illegal constructions raised in violation of law. (NVI)

Balochistan: 8 Pakistani soldiers killed in BLA attack, Major among those dead

Quetta, May 13: At least 8 Pakistani soldiers, including a Major, were killed in an attack by the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) in Balochistan today.

The freedom fighters of the BLA targeted a convoy of the occupying Pakistani army in a coordinated attack in the ‘Bala Dak’ area of Chamalang in Balochistan, its spokesman Jeeyand Baloch said in a statement to NVI tonight.

This operation was carried out based on precise intelligence provided by ZIRAB, the BLA’s intelligence wing, he said.

During the operation, one vehicle was first blown up using a remote-controlled explosive device, followed by a heavy armed assault on the second vehicle, the spokesman said.

Eight personnel of the enemy army, including Major Tauseef Bhatti, were killed in this successful strike, Jeeyand Baloch said in the brief statement.

Further details regarding the incident will be released to the media shortly, he added.

LG Manoj Sinha Reduces Convoy Size by Half Following PM Modi’s Austerity Appeal

Srinagar, May 13 (NVI) : Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha has decided to reduce the size of his official convoy by half following Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s appeal for austerity and fuel-saving measures, officials at Lok Bhavan said on Wednesday

Officials said the decision has been taken as part of efforts to promote austerity, reduce fuel consumption and encourage responsible use of government resources.

The move comes in the wake of Prime Minister Modi’s call for adopting fuel conservation measures and minimizing unnecessary expenditure in official functioning.

Officials said the Lieutenant Governor’s decision is aimed at setting an example for efficient governance and encouraging sustainable administrative practices in Jammu and Kashmir.(NVI)

MUST READ