Nirbhaya convict moves EC

    Nirbhaya case convict, Vinay Sharma

    New Delhi (NVI): Vinay Sharma, one of the four convicts on death row in the Nirbhaya gangrape-murder case has approached the Election Commission to challenge the rejection of his mercy petition.

    Sharma told EC that Model Code of Conduct was in place in Delhi at the time when his mercy plea was rejected by Deputy CM Manish Sisodia. He claimed before the poll body that Sisodia was ineligible to quash his plea at that time.

    Sharma’s lawyer, AP Singh has further argued that the digital signature of Manish Sisodia was needed and a screenshot received through WhatsApp was used to reject the mercy petition.

    Convict Vinay Sharma has now challenged the Delhi government. The mercy petition is forwarded by the Delhi government to the Lt Governor, and finally to the President of India who rejects or accepts it.

    Earlier today, Vinay also moved an application in a Delhi court claiming that he is suffering from mental illness and schizophrenia and needs “high-level treatment”.

    Yesterday, he attempted to hurt himself by banging his head on his cell wall in Tihar Jail.

    The court sought a response from the jail authorities and posted the matter for February 22 for consideration.

    Vinay has exhausted all his legal remedies following confirmation of punishment to him along with three other convicts, who are scheduled to be hanged on March 3.

    Another convict, Pawan, has not yet availed of the remedy of either curative or mercy petition.

    The date of execution, first fixed for January 22, was postponed to February 1 by a January 17 court order. The trial court later on January 31, stayed, “till further orders” the execution of the four convicts, as they had not exhausted all their legal remedies.

    On Monday, Patiala House court issued a fresh date for their execution on March 3 at 6 am. They will be hanged at Tihar jail premises.

    On December 16, 2012, a 23-year-old woman was gang-raped and assaulted inside a moving bus in South Delhi by six persons, before being thrown out on the road. She later died on December 29, 2012, at a hospital in Singapore.