New Delhi (NVI): China lost 45 soldiers during the physical clash with Indian Army in Galwan in June last year, according to Russia’s official news agency TASS.
The figure cited by TASS report from Beijing is revealing since China has never given out the number of soldiers who perished in the fight on June 15, whereas India officially said that it lost 20 soldiers.
The TASS gave the figure in a report yesterday which quoted Chinese Defence Ministry statement regarding the armed forces of China and India beginning to withdraw troops from the Pangong Tso lake.
China has not contradicted this figure till now.
The US intelligence had earlier said that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army lost 34 men in the fight. But when asked about it at an event later, Chinese Ambassador to India Sun Weidong refused to answer, saying it would not help in improving the situation.
The armies of India and China began disengagement from the Pangong Lake area of the Line of Actual Control since yesterday, as per an agreement reached last month.
The two sides had each amassed around 50,000 troops and deployed fighter planes, missiles and tanks along the LAC in Eastern Ladakh sector after China launched aggression in May in an attempt to change the status quo on the un-demarcated border.