Friday, May 22, 2026
Home Blog Page 1332

Bangladesh enforces heavy restrictions; COVID-19 cases top 1,800

New Delhi (NVI): Bangladesh has announced heavy restrictions on the movement of people to prevent further transmission of coronavirus, hours after recording the highest number of cases and fatalities in a day, according to United News of Bangladesh.

The country has reported highest deaths in last 24 hours, as 15 more people died of the virus, taking the total number of fatalities to 75.

A total of 266 people were also tested positive, taking the number of such cases in the country to 1,838.

Government figures show coronavirus has affected 44 districts out of 64 in the country. Dhaka, the capital city, recorded the maximum number of cases, 608, followed by Narayanganj with 255 confirmed cases.

Prime Miniter Sheikh Hasina’s government has unveiled a number of stimulus packages to tackle the possible effect of the outbreak and announced giving ration cards to five million people – 10 million in total.

Meanwhile, 57 Bangladeshi nationals, who got stuck in India due to coronavirus lockdown, returned home through Benapole check-post under a special arrangement yesterday.

So far, a total of 544 people have so far returned from India since April 6 and they were kept in 14-quarantine at Benapole Community centre and Gazir Dargah in Jashore.

Lockdown 2.0: Quick review of activities allowed after Apr 20

New Delhi (NVI): With an extended nationwide lockdown in place till May 3, the Government has allowed some activities from April 20 onwards.

As per the guidelines, the Government has permitted certain activities after April 20, giving relaxation to agriculture, e-commerce and select industrial activities.

Lockdown 2 guidelines were released a day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended the lockdown till May 3 in order to curb the coronavirus spread.

Here are some activities that will be allowed from April 20:

Movement of persons:

1) Private vehicles only for emergency services like medical care and essential commodities.

2) 1 driver and 1 passenger in the backseat for 4-wheelers; and only drivers for 2-wheelers.

Supply of essential goods:

1) Local stores, e-Commerce platforms – with no restrictions on timing.

2) Kirana and ration shops; fruits and vegetables; dairy booths; poultry and meat.

Commercial and private establishments

1) IT sector (up to 50 per cent strength)

2) e-Commerce companies; courier services

3) Electricians, IT repairs, plumbers, motor mechanics and carpenters.

However, this relaxation will not be applicable in the containment zones identified within the COVID-19 hotspots.

J&K: 2 terrorists involved in attack on police party killed in Kishtwar encounter

Jammu (NVI): Two terrorists, who were apparently involved in an attack on a police party four days ago, were killed in an encounter with forces in Dachan area of Kishtwar in Jammu and Kashmir today, police said.

The two terrorists, identified as Bashrat Hussain and Ashiq Hussain, were killed in an encounter between Kishtwar police and 17 RR at Dachhan of Kishtiwar district, as part of a joint operation launched by Police, Army and CRPF after the Monday attack on a police party that killed an SPO while leaving another injured, they said.

SPO Pashid Iqbal had died after being attacked with axes by Ashiq and Basharat while another SPO- Vishal Singh was injured and admitted to a hospital.

“Two #terrorists killed in an encounter in #Dachan area of #Kishtwar. #Police #Army and #CRPF forces were deployed in the difficult terrain on a tip off. Two #weapons have been recovered from the killed #terrorists,” IGP Jammu said in a tweet.

On Monday, Basharat Hussain and Ashiq Hussain, both residents of Tander village in Dachhan attacked the SPOs, while they were on patrolling duty at the upper area of Tander, Jammu police had said.

After the incident, police parties had rushed to the spot and chases attackers through jungles and mountainous terrain. “They were reinforced with additional police parties and local Army unit,” the J&K police said in a tweet.

One of the attackers- Ashiq Hussain was involved in a rape case and was out on bail 20 days back in the wake of the spread of coronavirus, police had said. He was charged under section 376 of IPC and was detained in district jail Kishtwar.

“The attacker Ashiq Hussain S/O Bashrat Ahmed R/O village Tander Dachhan was involved in case FIR No 06/2018 U/S 363,376 RPC of P/S Dachhan. He went out on bail 20 days back,” IGP Jammu had said in a tweet.

Meanwhile, Jammu and Kashmir Police also retweeted IGP Jammu’s tweet today, saying: “With this two ongoing operations concluded today with elimination of two terrorists each in Shopian and Kishtwar encounters and a total of Four terrorists. Equal number of weapons recovered.”

Coronavirus claims 5th life in J&K

Abid Bashir

Srinagar (NVI): A 70-year-old COVID-19 positive patient, who was admitted to a Srinagar hospital, breathed his last this afternoon. With this, Jammu and Kashmir Union Territory (UT) has recorded its fifth death due to the pandemic.

The medical superintendent at Jehlum Valley College Hospital Bemina, also known as SKIMS hospital Bemina, Dr Shafia Deva told NVI that a 70-year-old patient from Arampora village in Sopore area of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district succumbed to the disease in the afternoon. He was admitted to the hospital 10 days ago, she added.

“The condition of elderly man deteriorated this afternoon after which he succumbed,” she said. The doctor said that at present, 95 COVID-19 patients are undergoing treatment at the JVC hospital.

The deceased man, as per doctors, had a travel history from Saudi Arabia where he performed Umrah. He was tested in the first week of April and his results came positive.

Earlier, the deadly virus had claimed four lives including a woman. On April 8, a 61-year-old lady from Udhampur died at Government Medical College (GMC) Jammu. On April 7, a 54-year-old man from Bandipora died at SMHS hospital Srinagar.

On March 29, a 50-year-old man from Tangmarg, Baramulla district died at Chest Diseases Hospital, Srinagar. Coronavirus claimed first life on March 25, when a 65-year-old Tableeghi Jamaat preacher of Srinagar died in the Chest & Diseases Hospital.

An official said a proper protocol will be followed while carrying out the last rites of the latest victim. As per the guidelines set by the Ministry of Home Affairs, kissing, hugging and the burial bath of the person who dies of COVID-19 has been banned. As per guidelines, a few persons, who are close relatives of the deceased are allowed to participate in the funeral ceremony and take part in the burial.

Delhi private schools can charge only tuition fees during lockdown: Sisodia

New Delhi (NVI): Private schools in Delhi can only charge tuition fees during the lockdown and cannot increase the fees without the concurrence of the state government, Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said today.

“Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has directed that private schools in Delhi will not increase fees without asking the government. They will not charge three-month fees at a time, they will only charge tuition fees, not any other fees,” Sisodia said in a tweet.

The Delhi Education Minister also added that in case a student is not able to pay fees, then he/she will not be barred from taking online classes.

Sisodia made the announcement while saying that it has come to his notice that some schools are increasing the fees without the state government’s permission.

He also said that it is the responsibility of all private schools to pay salaries to all teaching, non-teaching, contract or outsourced staff on time.

“These orders will apply to all private schools (on government land or private land),” he added.

J&K: Pak violates ceasefire along LoC in Poonch

Ceasefire
Representational image

Jammu (NVI): Pakistan today violated ceasefire along the Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir, defence sources said.

Pakistani troops resorted to firing with small arms and mortar shelling along LoC in Qasba and Kirni sectors at around 11 am, they said.

“On 17 Apr 2020 at about 1100 hours, Pak initiated unprovoked ceasefire violation by firing with small arms & shelling with Mortars along LoC in Qasba & Kirni sectors, District Poonch (J&K). Indian Army retaliating befittingly,” said an Army official.

This is the second consecutive day when Pakistan has violated the ceasefire in Poonch district. Yesterday, the Pakistani Army had engaged in an unprovoked ceasefire violation in Rajouri district as well.

In another news, two militants were killed in an encounter with security forces at Dairoo village in South Kashmir’s Shopian district, earlier today.

Tensions along the border have escalated after the recent infiltration bid by Pakistan along the Line of Control (LoC) in Kupwara district, which was foiled by the Indian Army. Five militants were killed in the operation as the Army lost its five soldiers from elite Special Forces.

In another incident, three civilians including a woman and an eight-year-old boy were killed in the Pak shelling at Chowkibal area of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district during intense shelling by Pakistan army on Sunday (April 12).

Meanwhile, Army Chief General MM Naravane arrived in Kashmir on a two-day visit yesterday, to review the security situation in the Valley amid escalation in ceasefire violations on the Line of Control.

COVID-19 mythbusters: Is non-vegetarian diet unsafe at this time?

Representative image

New Delhi (NVI): There is a lot of misinformation on social media regarding dos and don’ts amid the COVID-19 outbreak. These myths are spread online through Whatsapp and various other social media platforms.

The Government is trying to clear the air around such myths by putting up information on its official social media handles and websites.

The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) has released some FAQs and facts, information for which was given by All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS):

1) Does the disease spread through food especially eating chicken, eggs and meat?
FACT: There is no conclusive evidence that properly cooked food transmits the disease.

2) Does the disease spread through pets?
FACT: The transmission of the disease has not been seen through pets.

3) Does the dead body of a person infected with coronavirus transmit the infection?
FACT: There is no transmission of coronavirus infection from the dead body of the person.

The Government has urged people to keep away from any kind of misinformation while also asking them to not forward it to others. People can visit official websites or social media handles of Health Ministry, PIB, ICMR for obtaining authentic information.

Lockdown 2: MHA issues fresh guidelines for additional activities

Ceasefire Agreement

New Delhi (NVI): On the third day of the nationwide lockdown, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has issued an order to include new activities in the guidelines that will be allowed amid lockdown in different parts of the country.

As per the guidelines, the government has permitted certain activities to resume services after April 20, which includes the non-banking finance corporations and micro-finance institutions and cooperative credit societies from the financial sector.

This will be applicable for financial institutions in all states and union territories (UTs).

MHA also permitted activities which include, collection, harvesting and processing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP)/Non Timber Forest Produce (NTFP) by Scheduled Tribes and other forest dwellers in forest areas.

Similarly, bamboo, coconut, arecanut cocoa, spices plantation and their harvesting, processing, packaging, sale and marketing, to be carried out during the lockdown.

Construction activities in rural areas, includes, water supply and sanitation, laying/erection of power transmission lines and laying of telecom optical fiber and cable have also been exempted from the lockdown.

 

Earlier on Wednesday, the ministry had announced a series of exemptions given on different services during lockdown 2.0.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended the nationwide lockdown till May 3, to curb the spread of coronavirus across the country.

J&K: 2 militants killed in encounter in Shopian district

Representational Image

Abid Bashir

Srinagar (NVI): Two militants were killed in an encounter with security forces at Dairoo village in South Kashmir’s Shopian district today, police said.

A police officer told NVI that the encounter broke out after security forces launched a massive search operation in village Dairoo, Keegam in Shopian district early this morning.

“When the joint team of security forces zeroed on a house where militants were believed to be hiding, the militants opened heavy fire triggering a fierce gun-battle,” he said.

After heavy exchange of fire, one militant was killed, while the second one continued to fire intermittently. “At 9am, final assault was launched in which the second militant was also killed,” he said.

Kashmir Zone police confirmed on its Twitter handle that two militants have been killed. “Shopian encounter update: two unidentified militants killed. Further details awaited,” they said.

In the operation, joint teams of police, Army and the CRPF participated. A police source said that the operation was over and the bodies of two slain militants have been recovered. “It seems both are locals associated with the Hizbul Mujahideen. Final confirmation is still awaited as we are verifying their details,” he said.

He said that cordon continues to remain on in the area and search at the encounter spot is on. “We have recovered two weapons from the slain militants,” the police source said.

Meanwhile, police have urged people of Dario not to go closer to the encounter site till the spot is properly sanitised.

Coronavirus cases top 2.1 million globally

Coronavirus cases
(Representational/file photo)

New Delhi (NVI): The total number of infections from the novel coronavirus has now reached 21,52,000, with nearly 1,45,000 deaths, according to the Johns Hopkins University tally.

Nearly 5,44,000 infected people have recovered from the deadly virus around the world so far.

In addition to this, US President Donald Trump has announced “a phased approach” to ease restrictions of movement on Americans, even as the coronavirus death toll in the country continues to rise nearing 35,000, and with cases soaring to 6,67,000.

Meanwhile, nearly 5.2 million more Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week, bringing the four-week total to 22 million – the worst stretch of US job losses on record, US government reported.

The UK government has also said a lockdown imposed to curb the spread of the coronavirus will remain in place for at least three more weeks.

The Canada government has also increased its lockdown, according to media reports.

The global health emergency could also lead to deep economic recession that could result in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of children worldwide, according to the United Nations.

MUST READ