Friday, May 22, 2026
Home Blog Page 1341

Coronavirus cases rise to 9,352 in India, death toll at 324

New Delhi (NVI): As the 20th day of the nationwide lockdown came to a close, the death toll due to coronavirus in India rose to 324 while the total number of positive cases increased to 9,352, according to Union Health Ministry.

Out of the total, 8,048 are active cases and 979 cured/discharged, while one case is migrated, according to the  Health Ministry’s latest data.

In the last 24 hours, 796 new cases of COVID-19 have been reported across the country with at least 35 new deaths.

According to the ministry, Maharashtra remains the worst affected state in the country with 1,985 cases followed by Delhi (1,154) and Tamil Nadu (1,075).

Meanwhile, four other states have also crossed the 500-mark. These states are Rajasthan, Kerala, Telangana and Madhya Pradesh.

There are a total of 1,154 cases, and 24 deaths in the national capital and 27 people have been cured.

WATCH | Mother of a young terrorist in J&K appealing her son to shun violence

Mother of a newly recruited terrorist, Asif Majid Dar of Kakapore (in Pulwama, Jammu & Kashmir ), making an emotional appeal to her son to shun the path of violence and return back to his family. Indian Army’s Srinagar-based Chinar Corps has urged Asif to listen to his Mother’s appeal and has assured him that it will assist and help him in every way possible to safely return home.

Afghanistan gets 5,022 metric tonnes of wheat from India

New Delhi (NVI): India today shipped the first consignment of 5,022 metric tonnes of wheat to Afghanistan as a humanitarian gesture to ensure food security during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Afghan envoy to India Tahir Qadiry thanked India for the goodwill gesture while tweeting: “Today, Afghanistan’s all-weather friend #India shipped the 1st consignment of 5,022 MT of wheat of the total gifted package of 75,000 MT. The allocation of 500,000 hydroxychloroquine tablets is to be dispatched soon too. True friend through our thick & thin.”

Indian ambassador to Afghanistan, Vinay Kumar had last year said that India would gift 75,000 metric tonnes of wheat to Afghanistan.

The Indian Embassy in Afghanistan also tweeted on the development, expressing India’s commitment to helping its all-weather friend. “251 containers carrying 1st consignment of 5,022 MT of wheat out of total gift of 75,000 MT from India to Afghanistan set sail from Kandla Port to Chabahar Port today. The remaining consignments will follow in the weeks ahead,” it tweeted.

The embassy also announced that India will be sending another consignment of 5,00,000 Hydroxychloroquine tablets to Afghanistan. India has already cleared the first list of 13 countries to which it will export the HCQ tablets, seen as helpful in the treatment of cases.

“This humanitarian gesture of Indian people to our Afghan brethren will ensure food security during difficult times of COVID-19 pandemic. India is gifting 500,000 tablets of HydroxyChloroquine to AFG for health professionals and COVID-19 positive cases,” the Indian Embassy said in another tweet.

India is the largest exporter of the anti-malarial drug and it has already sent a consignment to the United States where more than 20,000 people have lost their lives due to coronavirus.

Covid-19: 21 more cases test positive in J&K, tally reaches 245

Abid Bashir

Srinagar (NVI): Jammu and Kashmir government today said that 21 more cases tested positive for Covid-19 in the Union Territory (UT), taking the tally to 245.

“21 new cases from J&K, 17 from Kashmir division and four from Jammu,” government spokesman Rohit Kansal tweeted.

The official bulletin on Covid-19 released by the government read that the total number of positive cases has gone up to 245.

“Out of 245 positive cases, 235 are active Positive, six have recovered and four have died,” it read. The government also said that to date, 51,320 travellers and people in contact with suspected cases have been put under surveillance which includes 9,153 persons, who are in home quarantine.

“433 people are in hospital quarantine, 235 in hospital isolation and 29718 under home surveillance. Besides, 11,777 persons have completed their 28-day surveillance period,” the bulletin read.

It said that 3,355 samples have tested as negative till April 12. the government said that Srinagar district tops the list of positive cases at 58.

“Bandipora district of Kashmir has 42 positive cases with 39 active positive, two have recovered and one has died, Baramulla district has 37 positive cases with 36 active positive, no case has recovered and one has died, Budgam has 11 positive cases all of whom are active positive, Pulwama has three positive cases-all active positive, Shopian and Kupwara with 14 and 23 positive cases respectively and all are active positive, and Ganderbal and Kulgam with five and four positive cases respectively all of whom are active positive,” the bulletin reads.

Similarly, Jammu has 21 positive cases of whom 19 are active positive and two have recovered, Udhampur 19 positive cases of which 18 are Active Positive, 0 recovered and 01 died, while as Rajouri and Samba have 03 and 04 positive cases respectively and all are active positive and the single positive case has recovered fully in Kishtwar district.

Meanwhile, the government urged the people to stay indoors, strictly implement social distancing measures, disclose recent travel history and report any contact with positive cases voluntarily.

“People have been advised to take care of their well-being and mental health during the lockdown,” the bulletin reads.

WATCH | Fire breaks out at Kupwara village in Kashmir after Pak shelling

A mortar shell fired by the Pakistani army landed at a residential house in Kupwara district of north Kashmir today, leading to fire and damage. The owner of the house said his cattle and many other belongings were harmed in the intense shelling from across the LoC on Sunday afternoon. Three persons including a woman and a minor boy were killed while several houses suffered damages. Read more

Minor boy, woman among 3 killed in Pak shelling in Kashmir’s Kupwara

Abid Bashir

Srinagar (NVI): Three civilians including a minor boy and a woman were killed in intense shelling from across the Line of Control (LoC) in north Kashmir’s Kupwara today, police said.

Police officials told NVI that the Pakistani army resorted to intense shelling as mortar shells landed in the residential areas that fall under two police stations of Kupwara district.

A house under fire due to intense shelling by Pakistan. (Photo via arrangement)

“Three civilians including a minor and a woman got killed in the Pakistani shelling,” a police officer said, requesting anonymity. He said two deceased civilians including the woman belong to Chowkkibal and the minor is from Timuna Vilgam village of Kupwara.

Police sources said that this afternoon, Pakistani rangers resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violation (CFV) triggering fresh fear among the local population. “The Pakistan army fired mortar shells some of which landed on the residential houses,” they said.

They said that many mortar shells landed in villages that include Hajitara, Dhani, Chowkibal and Timuna-Vilgam. Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Kupwara, Shriram Ambarkar told NVI that three civilians have died in the ceasefire violation by Pakistan.

“The evacuation process is underway and people are being moved to safer places,” he said. When asked if residential houses were also damaged in the shelling by Pakistani army, he said some houses have got damaged but there is no exact number.

Defence spokesperson in Srinagar, Colonel Rajesh Kalia told NVI that unprovoked ceasefire violation was initiated by Pakistan in Keran (Kupwara) sector at 5 pm. “Pakistan now targeting civilian population in Kupwara sector near the LoC resulting in killing of three innocent civilians including one woman and a child,” he said.

Locals try to douse fire after heavy shelling by Pakistan (Photo via arrangement)

There has been an intense exchange of firing between Indian and Pakistani soldiers in the district, after a deadly encounter between militants and the Army at Keran sector a few days ago, that left five militants and five soldiers from Special Forces Squad dead. Residents of Kupwara told NVI that that shelling intensified in the afternoon and many mortar shells rained on the residential houses killing three persons including a woman and a minor.

Police have identified the three deceased as eight-year-old boy Ziya from Timuna-Vilgam village, 18-year-old Javeed Khan from Chowkibal and 37-year-old woman Shameema Begum from Chowkibal. A police official said that a case has been registered while the assessment of damage is being ascertained.

Quake hits Delhi, tremors felt in national capital region

New Delhi (NVI): Tremors were felt in the Delhi-NCR region this evening, prompting people in many areas to rush out of their homes for safety.

The earthquake, with its epicenter at Delhi-UP border, measured 3.5 on richter scale, an NDRF official said.

“Earthquake of Magnitude:3.5 just happened in Delhi NCR. Occurred on:12-04-2020, 17:45:03 IST, Lat:28.7 N & Long: 77.2 E, Depth: 8 Km, Region: NCT Delhi,” said Satyanarayan Pradhan, DG of National Disaster Response Force.

The National Centre for Seismology also confirmed that the quake occurred at 5.45 pm.

However, no loss of life and property was reported. With the lockdown still in place, people who were mostly at homes during the quake took to social media and posted reactions.

Tulips in Kashmir to fade without visitors this season as Covid plays spoilsport

Famous Tulip Garden in Srinagar to Close for Public from April 16
A view of the famous Tulip Garden in Kashmir.

Abid Bashir

Srinagar (NVI): The COVID-19 pandemic has cast a shadow on Asia’s largest Tulip garden located in the foothills of Zabarwan mountain range this season, overlooking the famous Dal Lake in Srinagar, with 13 lakh Tulips set to wither without any visitor.

The famous Tulip garden in Kashmir was set to open in the first week of April this year, with various varieties of 13 lakh Tulips and a waterfall theme in the background to greet visitors. But the coronavirus outbreak ruined all plans as the garden has been closed for the visitors by the Department of Floriculture, in the wake of the deadly pandemic.

“The garden is closed for one and all,” Tulip garden in-charge Sheikh Altaf told NVI. “Covid-19 has cast its shadow on Tulip garden too besides targeting humans across the world. We had thought that this year, at least three lakh visitors would visit the garden,” Altaf said adding that they had plans to keep the garden open for 45 days this season.

This year, Altaf added, 13 lakh Tulips were in full bloom to greet visitors. The Floriculture department had also introduced the “Cherry garden theme” this time, taking inspiration from Japan, while different varieties of flowers were also kept on display at the entry and exit points to attract visitors.

He said that there was a water channel at the backyard of the garden as well, to add to the overall charm, but “all in vain because of Covid-19 pandemic.”

Last year, 2.58 lakh visitors, including foreign and domestic tourists visited the garden. “This year, we were hopeful that three lakh visitors including locals would visit the garden,” he said.

“We had also kept different species of flowers in the garden different from the Tulips as part of the added attraction,” he said.

Sources in the Floriculture department, that oversees Tulip garden, said that the closure of garden has resulted in Rs 1,000 Crore losses to the tourism and allied sectors. “Tulip garden alone would earn Rs 1 Crore for a period of 45 days,” they said. With the Tulip garden, there were many sectors associated which include Shikara wallas (boatmen), hoteliers, houseboat owners, tour operators, cab drivers, tea and coffee and barbecue sellers, etc. “So estimated loss is Rs 1000 Crore,” he said.

Former Chief Minister Omar Abdullah also lamented, while taking to Twitter: “We can’t see you this season. Hope next year will be a bumper bloom and bumper tourism season.”

The closure of garden due to the pandemic has also left many tourists, who had booked tickets in advance to see Tulip bloom, disappointed. Ankita Sharma from Mumbai had planned to visit Kashmir on April 5 this year with the sole aim of visiting Tulip garden. “I am really disappointed. The Covid has really played a spoilsport. It has put human lives at a risk we have never seen before. Let’s hope to see the garden next year,” she said.

Pak violates ceasefire along LoC in Poonch

July 18 Shopian encounter: Army completes summary of evidence
An encounter site in Kashmir (File Pic)

Jammu (NVI): In yet another ceasefire violation along the Line of Control, Pakistan today initiated firing with small arms and intense mortar shelling in Qasba and Kirni sectors in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir.

Army officials said that Pakistan resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violation along the LoC at around 1340 hours and the Indian troops were retaliating befittingly.

“On 12 Apr 2020 at about 1340 hours, Pak initiated unprovoked ceasefire violation by firing with small arms & intense shelling with Mortars along LoC in Qasba & Kirni sectors, District Poonch (J&K). Indian Army retaliating befittingly,” an army official said.

Pakistan intensified the shelling later around 1845 hours and targetted civilian areas in Balakote & Mendhar sectors Poonch, Army official said.

“Today, this is third ceasefire violation by Pak targetting innocent civilians. Indian Army is retaliating befittingly,” said an Army official.

Pakistan shelled the civillian areas along LoC in the Balakot sector last night as well, prompting a befitting reply from the Indian Army.

Earlier on Friday also, Pakistani troops had resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violation in the Keran sector of Kupwara district, drawing a strong retaliation by the Indian Army which targeted gun areas, militant launchpads and ammunition dumps on the other side of the LoC.

The Friday action took place just a few days after a deadly encounter in the same area in north Kashmir, where five militants were terminated by the Indian Army while trying to sneak in this side of the LoC.

In the big anti-infiltration operation which lasted five days, the Army lost five soldiers of Special Forces squad.

(More details awaited)

Indian medical team in Kuwait to combat COVID-19

New Delhi (NVI): India has sent a team of 15 doctors and health-care professionals to Kuwait to help them in the collective fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the Ministry of External Affairs.

The medical team is expected to stay in Kuwait for a period of two weeks during which it will render medical assistance in testing and treatment of the afflicted persons and training their personnel, the MEA has said in a statement.

“The rapid response team has been deputed at the request of the government of the State of Kuwait,” the Foreign Ministry has said.

Yesterday, a C-130 aircraft of the Indian Air Force, carrying an Indian “corona warriors” team of medical personnel with medical equipment landed in Kuwait, the Ministry of Defence said.

External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar also tweeted after the rapid response team landed in Kuwait.

“India’s RAPID RESPONSE TEAM arrives in Kuwait. Follow up to the discussion between our two Prime Ministers on #COVID19. Underlines the special friendship between India and Kuwait,” he said.

The deputation of Indian medical experts comes after a recent telephonic conversation between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Kuwaiti PM Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Sabah. Both the leaders agreed for a concerted and coordinated effort against the global pandemic during their interaction.

Following the talks between the two heads of states, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and his Kuwaiti counterpart held a telephone conversation to discuss the prevailing situation in Kuwait and explore ways to further strengthen cooperation during these challenging times, the MEA said.

India and Kuwait share a strong partnership based on historical, cultural, economic and people-to-people-contacts. Indians constitute the largest group of expatriates with an estimated population of about ten lakhs in the State of Kuwait, the MEA statement read.

India is reaching out to Kuwait in the extended neighbourhood to further complement its efforts to fight the menace effectively, it added.

MUST READ