Thursday, May 21, 2026
Home Blog Page 1342

Pakistan reports 86 coronavirus deaths, total cases over 5,000

Representational Image

New Delhi (NVI): The total number of coronavirus cases in Pakistan has reached 5,038, while 86 people have died of the disease so far. 1,026 COVID-19 patients have recovered from the virus in the country, according to the Dawn.

Nearly half of the total confirmed cases are from Punjab province alone, at 2,425. The Pak Ministry of National Health Services has said that 254 new infections have been reported.

Looking at the breakdown of cases, the Sindh province has reported 1,318 cases while Balochistan has 228 cases so far. The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province has 607 cases, Islamabad 119, Gilgit Baltistan 216 and 35 in Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK).

Pakistan is currently under lockdown amid the pandemic, with its troops deployed across the country to enforce social distancing and help civil authorities in carrying out their operations.

Meanwhile, Pak Minister for Planning, Development and Special Initiatives Asad Umar has disclosed to media that the government has been losing one-third of its revenue and exports had already dropped by 50pc due to COVID-19. He said that now the Pakistan government would decide tomorrow whether to extend the lockdown or ease restrictions after April 15.

COVID-19: Hydroxychloroquine consignment from India reaches US

New Delhi (NVI): Days after India lifted a ban on the export of Hydroxychloroquine drug to the US and some other countries, a consignment of the anti-malarial drug has arrived at Newark in New Jersey.

Indian Ambassador to the US, Taranjit Singh Sandhu said in a tweet: “Supporting our partners in the fight against #Covid19. Consignment of hydroxichloroquine from India arrived at Newark airport today.”

India is the largest exporter of the HCQ drug, seen as helpful in the treatment of COVID-19 patients.

The development comes days after US President Donald Trump had requested India for the anti-malarial drug, in the wake of a large number of Covid-19 deaths in the country.

On the request from the US, India cleared the export of 35.82 lakh tablets of hydroxychloroquine to the US along with nine metric tons of active pharmaceutical ingredient or API required in the manufacturing of the drug.

The US President had on Wednesday praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his strong leadership, in response to the Indian government’s decision to ease restrictions on the export of hydroxychloroquine.

The next day, PM Modi had also responded to the US President for his gratitude, saying “times like these bring friends closer”.

With over 20,000 deaths now, the United States has surpassed Italy in the highest coronavirus death toll.

Yesterday, the US recorded the highest number of COVID-19 deaths in a single day with more than 2,000 fatalities.

US reports over 20,000 Covid fatalities, overtakes Italy for highest death toll

New Delhi (NVI): The coronavirus death toll in the US has reached 20, 597, exceeding that of Italy which recorded the highest fatalities, according to John Hopkins University reports.

The total number of infections in the US has also climbed to 527,111, with over 31,917 recoveries.

Apart from that, the US also became the first country yesterday to record over 2,000 coronavirus deaths in 24 hours, reports in foreign media said.

Meanwhile, the global death toll has passed 1,00,000 mark with 1,07,000 fatalities as the total number of cases has surpassed 1.7 million.

Covid-19 death toll in India climbs to 273, total 8356 cases

Representational image

New Delhi (NVI): The total number of coronavirus cases in India reached 273 today as the overall Covid-19 tally climbed to 8,356, amid indications that the nationwide lockdown could be extended beyond April 14.

According to the latest data available with the Union Home Ministry, there are 7,367 active cases and 715 cured/discharged so far. 909 new cases have been reported in the last 24 hours, with 34 fresh deaths.

Maharashtra remains the worst affected state with 1761 cases, followed by Delhi (1069), Tamil Nadu (969), Rajasthan (700)and Telangana (504).

WATCH | India retaliating after Pakistan shells civilian areas near LoC in J&K

Srinagar (NVI) : Pakistan tonight resorted to heavy shelling on civillian areas along the Line of Control (LoC) in Balakot sector of Jammu and Kashmir, prompting a befitting reply by the Indian Army.

Pak shells forward areas along LoC in J&K’s Poonch

Ceasefire
Representational image

Srinagar (NVI): Pakistan tonight resorted to heavy shelling on civillian areas along the Line of Control (LoC) in Balakot sector of Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district, prompting a befitting reply by the Indian Army.

A woman was injured in the unprovoked intense mortar shelling that began at around 9.30 pm in Poonch district, officials said. The Indian Army is retaliating befittingly, officials said as the cross-LoC shelling continued.

 

Earlier, yesterday Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire in Keran sector of Kupwara in Kashmir, drawing strong retaliation from the Indian Army which carried out precision targetting of gun areas, terrorist launch pads and ammunition dump across the Line of Control (LoC).

Only a few days back, Indian Army foiled a major infiltration attempt in Keran sector, killing 5 terrorists while losing 5 of its commandos in the 5-day operation.

Coronavirus cases in India rise to 7,529; death toll at 242

New Delhi (NVI): The death toll due to coronavirus in India rose to 242 while the total number of positive increased to 7,529, the Union Health Ministry said this morning.

In the last 24 hours, 1,117 new cases of COVID-19 were reported in the country, making it the highest single day rise.

Three states, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Delhi’s coronavirus figures taken together, account for more than 45 per cent of the total COVID-19 cases across the country.

Meanwhile, Punjab, Odisha and Maharashtra governments have extended the ongoing lockdown till April 30, as the coronavirus cases spike in these states.

Furthermore, in a video conference held today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with Chief Ministers of all the states in order to take suggestion to curb the spread and also to discuss the issues of their respective states.

The Centre said that it is considering the extension of lockdown, after CMs of many states have suggested it as the best way to contain the contagion including Arvind Kejriwal and Mamata Banerjee.

J&K HC stays felling of poplar trees

Batla House
Representational image

Abid Bashir

Srinagar (NVI):  The Jammu & Kashmir High Court today stayed the cutting of poplar trees in the Union Territory and directed the Chief Secretary of J&K to constitute a high level committee to study whether these trees are the cause of multiple diseases for people.

The HC issued a stay order till a committee submits its report. The committee is supposed to be constituted within four days from today.

The court directed Chief Secretary BVR Subramanyam to set-up a committee headed by Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (PCCF) and other experts on trees, medicine, respiratory diseases and other subjects relevant to the issues.

“The committee which is constituted would examine all aspects relating to the matter including the impact of the pollen and fluff from poplar trees, the desirability of felling poplar trees ( also called Russian poplars) and related issues. The committee shall suggest all necessary steps, including felling of trees, if necessary,” the HC order reads.

According to the order, the committee shall complete its deliberations expeditiously within a timeframe to be fixed by Chief Secretary and forward its report to secretaries of Health and Medical Education and Forest departments.

“The Secretaries Health and Forest Departments shall take a considered view on the report and place the same before Chief Secretary for consideration at the earliest,” reads the order available with NVI.

The High Court said it has not passed any direction on felling of poplar trees during April 3 hearing and left the decision and action to be taken by the secretary of Health and Medical Education Department.

It also stayed previous order issued by the Divsional Commisioner Kashmir PK Pole, who had directed all the deputy commissioners of Kashmir to cut poplar trees in their respective districts. The stay on cutting of poplar trees will continue till further orders, the HC observed.

COVID-19 deaths in Bangladesh reach 30; cases at 482

New Delhi (NVI): The total number of COVID-19 fatalities in Bangladesh reached 30 after 3 more people have died due to the novel coronavirus pandemic today, according to the Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control and Research (IEDCR).

The total number of positive cases jumped by 58 in the last 24 hours, raising the number of coronavirus cases in the country to 482.

Director of Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) Prof Meerjady Sabrina Flora said 48 of the new patients are male and the rest are female.

“A total of 954 samples were tested in the last 24 hours,” health minister Zahid Maleque said.

Dhaka’s Mirpur, Basabo and Narayangaj have so far reported as the most infected regions of the country, according to United News of Bangladesh.

EMI-deferment: Don’t fall into trap of cyber fraudsters

Representational image
New Delhi (NVI): Beware! Don’t fall into the trap of cyber fraudsters who may offer you help in EMI-moratorium or any such scheme announced by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in view of the coronavirus pandemic.
Banks have specifically said that deferment of EMI does not need OTP sharing and advised people to be cautious.

Banks have issued advisories asking customers to be aware of fraudsters who may attempt to exploit the EMI-moratorium scheme as some cases have come to light.

Banks like Axis Bank, State Bank of India and various other banks have sent out SMSs and email alerts to its customers strongly advising them not to share sensitive information like OTP and PIN with imposters.

Axis Bank said in an e-mail to customers that fraudsters have started a new modus operandi to gain access to banking details.

The State Bank of India (SBI) also tweeted in this regard and said, “Cyber fraudsters keep finding new ways to scam people. The only way to beat the #cybercriminals is to #BeAlert & be aware. Please note that EMI Deferment does not require OTP sharing. Do not share your OTP.”

According to the banks, nothing will stop the fraudsters and scamsters to commit a scam.

Banks have been alerting their customers of cyber frauds that can happen while availing EMI moratorium. For instance, on Sunday, the State Bank of India (SBI) tweeted this: “Cyber fraudsters keep finding new ways to scam people. The only way to beat the #cybercriminals is to #BeAlert & be aware. Please note that EMI Deferment does not require OTP sharing. Do not share your OTP.”

The government and entities like RBI have come out with various relief measures for borrowers.

One such measure announced by the RBI was the three-month moratorium or grace period for loan equated monthly installments (EMIs) and credit card dues. which is a slight ray of sunshine for borrowers.

In addition to this, several police departments have also cautioned people against such cyber frauds and scams and have urged people to stay aware and stay safe.

The police has cautioned people to be careful of such calls that seek to share sensitive information like OTP, CVV of credit/debit cards, login credentials of net banking and credit cards.

MUST READ