Thursday, May 21, 2026
Home Blog Page 1344

PM to interact with CMs today

New Delhi (NVI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi will hold a video conference with Chief Ministers of all the states today to discuss issues related to coronavirus pandemic.

This will be the second meeting of the PM Modi with the Chief Ministers via video conference since the 21-day lockdown was imposed on March 24.

Odisha and Punjab have already extended the lockdown by till April 30, while several other states such as Karnataka, Telangana, Uttarakhand and Madhya Pradesh have also indicated they were in favour of extending the lockdown.

The 21-day nationwide lockdown that PM Modi declared on March 24 to contain the spread of coronavirus pandemic which is set to end on April 14.

Total COVID-19 cases rise to 7,447 in India; Death toll at 239

New Delhi (NVI): The death toll due to coronavirus in India rose to 239 while the total number of positive increased to 7447, the Union Health Ministry said this morning.

In the last 24 hours,1,035 new cases of COVID-19 were reported in the country, making it the highest single day rise, it said.

At least 40 more people succumbed to the pandemic in a day.

Three states, whose coronavirus figures taken together, account for more than 45 per cent of the total COVID-19 cases across the country.

These states are Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Delhi.

Maharashtra has the maximum 1,574 cases so far, followed by Tamil Nadu with 911 cases and Delhi with 903 positive cases, according to the Union Health Ministry.

At least 642 people have been discharged/cured and 1 had migrated, it said.

20 at Afghan Presidential Palace test positive for Covid-19

New Delhi (NVI): At least 20 employees of the Presidential Palace in Afghanistan have tested positive for coronavirus out of 517 samples examined, according to Afghan media reports.

Following this, a group of medics from the country’s Public Health Ministry have begun taking samples of other officials and staff members at the Palace, the reports said.

Meanwhile, the doctors in Afghanistan have said that there is a need for more test kits in the country to slow the spread of the virus.

37 new coronavirus cases have been recorded in Afghanistan today, bringing the total to 521, according to Afghan Ministry of Public Health.

Army hits terror launch pads across LoC after Pak violates ceasefire in Kupwara

Abid Bashir

Srinagar (NVI) Just a few days after a deadly encounter in Keran sector of north Kashmir’s Kupwara, Pakistani troops today resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violation in the same area, drawing a strong retaliation by the Indian Army which targeted gun areas, militant launchpads and ammunition dumps on the other side of the LoC.

The Army said that in the retaliatory action, the enemy side suffered heavy damage.

In another ceasefire violation at around 2230 hours in Balakote and Mendhar Sectors in Poonch today, Pakistan initiated unprovoked ceasefire violation by firing with small arms and intense shelling with mortars along LoC. The Defence spokesperson said that the Indian Army was replying befittingly.

Panic gripped at least half a dozen villages in Keran area of Kupwara district this afternoon after heavy shelling by the Pakistani Army. Locals told NVI that they thought it was a war between two sides and they ran for cover with many of them shifting to safer places as the shelling intensified.

“We have seen so many Cease Fire Violations (CFVs) so far in the past 30 years. But today, it was altogether different. There were big bangs all around,” Abdul Jabbar Khatana, a local resident of Keran told NVI over phone.

He said that the impact of shelling was felt in many villages including Zurhama, Jumgand, Farkin and Panzgam, Juktiyal and other adjoining villages too. Defence sources said that the shelling started from across the LoC at around 1300 hrs and continued for an hour. “The troops immediately prepared for the response and the enemy was given a befitting reply within no time,” they said.

Defence spokesperson in Srinagar, Rajesh Kalia said that in the retaliatory action by the Army, launchpads, ammunition dumps and gun areas (of the enemy) were targetted. “There are reports of heavy damage to enemy,” he said.

The CFV comes five days after five soldiers of Special Forces squad of Army were killed in Keran sector while fighting five militants, who had sneaked into this side of LoC. The operation lasted for five days.

Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Kupwara, Shriram Ambarkar said that that the cross LoC shelling started early in the afternoon and ended after an hour. “We are trying to find out whether there is any damage to residential houses of civilians,” he said.

The authorities in the district Kupwara had suspended the internet for a few hours as a precautionary measure. The internet services were later restored on all platforms.

WATCH | Indian Army retaliates to ceasefire violation by Pakistan in Kupwara

July 18 Shopian encounter: Army completes summary of evidence
An encounter site in Kashmir (File Pic)

Pakistani troops today violated the ceasefire in Keran sector of Kupwara in Kashmir, drawing strong retaliation from the Indian Army which carried out precision targetting of gun areas, terrorist launch pads and ammunition dump across the Line of Control (LoC).

Infiltration bids by Pakistan amid Covid-19 outbreak shameful: JK DGP

Jammu (NVI): When the entire world is coming together to fight the Covid-19 pandemic, Pakistan and its sponsored terrorists are making attempts to infiltrate and disrupt peace in the Valley, Jammu and Kashmir DGP Dilbagh Singh said today.

The JK DGP was referring to the recent infiltration bids by Pakistan along the Line of Control (LoC) in Kupwara district, which was foiled by the Indian Army. Five militants were killed in the operation as the Army lost its five soldiers from elite Special Forces.

The J&K top cop’s remarks came on a day when the Indian Army gave a befitting reply to Pakistani troops for violating ceasefire violation in the same area.

DGP Singh further said that the recent civilian killings in the Valley exposed the inhumane and senseless conduct of the terrorists. “Our forces are taking enough measures to counter evil designs of Pakistan and its sponsored terrorism,” he added.

DGP Dilbagh Singh was speaking to media after reviewing the lockdown arrangements by the local administration in Jammu city amid the Covid-19 outbreak.

He also visited areas declared as Red Zones due to positive Covid-19 cases including bhawani Nagar in Janipora , Gorkhanagar , Bathindi and Sunjwan.

7 non-locals among 23 fresh positive cases in J&K, tally reaches 207

Representational image

Abid Bashir

Srinagar (NVI): Jammu and Kashmir government today said that 23 more cases were tested positive in the Union Territory, out of which seven people are non-locals who had managed their entry into Srinagar with the help of a local contact.

The total number of positive cases in the UT has now crossed 200 mark as the tally climbed to 207.

JK Government spokesman Rohit Kansal confirmed that total number of positive cases across the Union Territory has mounted to 207. He said that there are now 39 cases in Jammu while 168 people have been detected positive in the Valley.

“#COVID19 #JammuAndKashmir Today’s Update:  Total positive cases in J&K now 207. Jammu-39; Kashmir-168. A detailed bulletin follows shortly,” Kansal tweeted.

Kansal’s tweet was followed by Deputy Commissioner Srinagar Shahid Iqbal Chaudhary’s tweet that read: “8 Covid positive in Srinagar today sounds panicky, but it’s not. This is a classic tracing success story: found a group of non-local visitors, acted fast, quarantined. 7/8 are from group, 8th their local contact. Please help report”.

However, panic gripped Srinagar as the news of eight positive cases spread across the district. Many locals in Srinagar blamed the government for allowing tourists to Kashmir without proper screening and questioned the screening mechanism that was set up at Airport and on Srinagar-Jammu national highway till March 19.

Srinagar being a congested area is highly vulnerable to the spreading of Covid-19 infections. The district administration has already declared 14 red zones in Srinagar alone and all roads to these areas have been sealed and nobody except health or essential supplies staff is allowed to go inside these areas.

Yesterday, Deputy Commissioner Srinagar, Shahid Iqbal Chaudhary said that 800 people didn’t reveal their travel history on time. He said had these people disclosed their details timely, the Covid-19 situation would have been better in Srinagar and Kashmir.

UK to operate 12 more flights to evacuate citizens from India

Representational Image

New Delhi (NVI): The United Kingdom today announced that it will fly out over 3,000 citizens stranded in India by 12 additional charter flights that have opened for bookings today.

This comes five days after the UK had announced seven charter flights on April 5 from Goa, Mumbai and New Delhi (April 8-12).

The 12 additional flights will airlift British nationals from Amritsar, Ahmedabad, Goa, Thriuvananthapuram, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Chennai, the British High Commission said in a statement here.

This will take the total number of people brought back on these 19 flights to around 5,000, it said.

The additional flights will depart for London from Amritsar on April 13, 17, 19, from Ahmedabad on April 13, 15, from Goa on April 14, 16 and another flight from Goa (via Mumbai) on April 18 from Thiruvananthapuram (via Kochi) on April 15, from Hyderabad (via Ahmedabad) on April 17, from Kolkata (via Delhi) on April 19 and from Chennai (via Bengaluru) on April 20.

The UK foreign office has said that these flights to London are scheduled for the next 2 weeks and British travellers can visit the India Travel Advice page to reserve seats.

Meanwhile, the first charter flight from India arrived at London Stanstead yesterday with 317 British nationals on board from Goa, the UK High Commission said in a statement.

Tariq Ahmad, British Foreign Office Minister of State said, “We are doing all we can to get thousands of British travellers in India home. This is a huge and complex operation that also involves working with the Indian Government to enable people to move within India to get on these flights. Over 300 people arrived from Goa on Thursday morning, 1,400 more will arrive over the Easter weekend and these 12 flights next week will bring back thousands more.”

Acting British High Commissioner to India, Jan Thompson also said in a statement: “We can confirm 12 more charter flights to bring British travellers back home – on top of the flights already launched. We are extremely grateful for the support we are receiving from the Government of India on this. Getting people home as quickly as possible remains our absolute priority.”

The British Embassy further stated that UK Government is working with the airline industry and host governments across the world to help bring back British travellers to the UK as part of the plan announced by the Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab last week (30 March) – with up to £75 million available for special charter flights to priority countries, focused on helping the most vulnerable travellers.

So far, flights have brought back British travellers from the Philippines, Ecuador, Bolivia, Nepal, Ghana, Tunisia, Algeria and Peru, it added.

Coronavirus cases in Pakistan top 4,700; death toll at 68

New Delhi (NVI): The total number of positive COVID-19 cases in Pakistan rose to 4,700 today after new infections were reported in the country.

The death toll in the country has also reached 64 in the last 24 hours, according to Pak media reports.

Punjab province has registered the maximum number of 2,280 positive cases, followed by Sindh province at 1,214, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa at 620, Gilgit-Baltistan has reported 215, Balochistan 220 and Islamabad 118, according to Geo News.

Federal Minister for Planning, Development and Special Initiatives has said that they will present the future course of action regarding the coronavirus to Prime Minister Imran Khan on April 12.

He further added that the proposal would then be put forward to the National Coordination Committee on April 13.

In addition to this, lockdown in Gilgit-Baltistan has been extended by a week.

COVID-19 deaths in Bangladesh reach 27; cases at 424

Bangladesh lockdown

New Delhi (NVI): The total number of COVID-19 fatalities in Bangladesh reached 27 after 6 more people have died due to the novel coronavirus pandemic today, according to the Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control and Research (IEDCR).

The total number of positive cases jumped by 94 in the last 24 hours, raising the number of coronavirus cases in the country to 424.

Over 13,000 people are in quarantine currently across the country, according to United News off Bangladesh.

Among the 6 deceased, 5 are male and 1 is female, IEDCR director Prof Meerjady Sabrina Flora said in a special bulletin today.

Meanwhile, the whole of the country has been put under a lockdown including the Rohingya refugee camps to curb the spread of coronavirus as the positive cases and fatalities are on a spike.

MUST READ