Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Home Blog Page 24

New Chapter in India, New Zealand ties: Free Trade Agreement signed

India and New Zealand sign Free Trade Agreement (FTA)
Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal and his New Zealand counterpart Todd McClay after signing FTA in Delhi today

New Delhi, Apr 27: India and New Zealand opened a new chapter in their relation today as they signed a long-pending free trade agreement (FTA) which is expected to open a range of fresh opportunities for business and commerce between the two countries.

The agreement was signed by Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal and his New Zealand counterpart Todd McClay here, capping a negotiation process spanning over 25 years.

 

“This landmark agreement reflects deep mutual trust, shared ambition, and a common commitment to prosperity,” Goyal said.

The agreement grants 100% duty-free access for Indian exports to New Zealand, opening significant opportunities for MSMEs, farmers, women, youth, professionals and job-creating sectors, while safeguarding India’s sensitive interests through a balanced and calibrated framework, he said.

“This forward-looking agreement will also facilitate $20 billion of investment into India, deepening our cooperation in trade, services, investment, innovation, mobility, agriculture productivity and education, and creating pathways for skilled talent and students,” Goyal said.

The negotiations began in 2010 but were paused in 2015 after nine rounds. These were revived in March 2025 and concluded in December last year.

 

The deal effectively removes tariffs across thousands of product categories, making Indian goods significantly more competitive.

Sectors expected to benefit the most include textiles, leather, engineering goods, pharmaceuticals, and processed foods — many of which are labour-intensive and export-driven. 

New Zealand Prime Minister Christopher Luxon described it as a “once-in-a-generation” deal that unlocks fresh opportunities across goods, services, investment, and labour mobility.

The agreement builds on steadily improving trade ties between the two countries.

 

Bilateral merchandise trade has already climbed to about $1.3 billion in 2024-25, while services trade — particularly in IT and travel — continues to grow. 

 

Investment opportunities:

 

One of the most significant aspects of the agreement is New Zealand’s commitment to invest $20 billion in India over the next 15 years. 

This long-term capital flow is expected to support infrastructure, agriculture, and technology partnerships, while also strengthening supply chains. 

For India’s domestic economy, the biggest gains are expected in employment-heavy sectors. Zero-duty access for industries such as textiles, footwear, and gems and jewellery could translate into higher export volumes and job creation, especially for MSMEs.

 

Kashmiri Pandit organisation Opposes NFSA Integration for displace people
Youth 4 Panun Kashmir has opposed the ongoing integration of displaced Kashmiri Hindus

Srinagar, Apr 27 (NVI): Youth 4 Panun Kashmir has opposed the ongoing integration of displaced Kashmiri Hindus under the National Food Security Act (NFSA), alleging that the process undermines their identity and dignity, and demanded its immediate suspension.

In a statement, the organisation termed the exercise “draconian” and “insensitive”, claiming it reduces victims of displacement to mere entries in a welfare database.

General Secretary Digamber Raina said the move fails to recognise the historical context of the community’s displacement and treats them as routine beneficiaries under welfare schemes.

Organising Secretary Rajesh Kachroo alleged that the process is riddled with anomalies, forcing displaced families to undergo repeated verification and documentation procedures.

Coordinator Sahil Pandita said welfare measures should not come at the cost of dignity and identity, and called for a review of the policy.

The group demanded a halt to the current process, a comprehensive audit of alleged discrepancies, and written assurance that the migrant status and entitlements of Kashmiri Pandits will not be affected.

It also reiterated its demand for a separate homeland for Kashmiri Pandits, stating that any attempt to “normalise exile through bureaucratic processes” would be resisted.(NVI)

US Air Force Commander visits India; ‘logistics cooperation’ discussed

New Delhi, Apr 27: Amidst continuing tensions in West Asia, militaries of India and the US have discussed issues related to “logistics cooperation aimed at enabling smoother coordination and improving readiness for joint operations, including humanitarian assistance and disaster response”.

The issue was discussed during the visit of Commander of the United States Pacific Air Forces, Kevin Schneider, and his discussions with senior Indian defence officials, including leadership of the Indian Air Force.

The visit from April 19 to 25 was aimed at strengthening bilateral defence cooperation and advance a shared vision for a secure Indo-Pacific, the US government said in a statement today.

The discussions focussed on enhancing operational collaboration and interoperability between the two sides, it said.

This assumes more significance because of the military tensions in West Asia, where the US is locked in a confrontation with Iran, including on the issue of Strait of Hormuz.

The visit reflects the growing scope and complexity of defence ties between India and the US across multiple domains, including air, land, sea, space and cyber, it said.

General Schneider also toured operational and training facilities, highlighting increasing integration between the two forces.

The US reiterated that India remains a key partner in promoting peace, security and stability in the Indo-Pacific region, with both sides continuing to expand joint exercises, training engagements and high-level exchanges under the bilateral defence framework.(NVI)

Ladakh Gets Five New Districts, Total Rises to Seven: LG Saxena

Leh, Apr 27 (NVI): Vinai Kumar Saxena on Monday approved the creation of five new districts in Ladakh, taking the total number of districts in the region to seven, officials said.

In a post on X, the Lieutenant Governor termed the move a “historic day” for Ladakh and said it fulfils a long-pending demand and aspirations of the people.

“With the creation of five new districts — Nubra, Sham, Changthang, Zanskar and Drass — Ladakh will now have seven districts from the existing two,” he said.

Officials said the decision is aimed at improving administrative efficiency and ensuring better governance and service delivery in the geographically vast and sparsely populated region.

Ladakh, which was carved out as a Union Territory in 2019, currently has two districts — Leh and Kargil. The addition of five new districts is expected to bring governance closer to the people and accelerate development in remote areas.

Trump After Hilton Shooting: Momentary Sympathy Or Limited Political Impact?

Trump After Hilton Shooting: Momentary Sympathy Or Limited Political Impact?
Trump After Hilton Shooting: Momentary Sympathy Or Limited Political Impact?

Washington, 27th April: The recent shooting scare at the Washington Hilton during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner has quickly shifted from a security incident to a political flashpoint for Donald Trump. Coming at a time when his presidency is already under pressure, the episode raises a critical question: will it help revive his political standing ahead of the 2026 midterm elections, or fade as a brief moment of sympathy?

A Presidency Facing Challenges

Even before the incident, Trump was grappling with declining approval ratings, hovering in the mid-30% range across multiple polls. Public dissatisfaction has been driven largely by concerns over inflation, the cost of living, and his handling of the ongoing tensions involving Iran. Surveys suggest a significant portion of voters believe the country is on the wrong track, creating a difficult backdrop for Republicans heading into midterms.

Turning Crisis Into Messaging

The Hilton scare was contained quickly, with Trump evacuated safely and the attacker stopped before reaching the main event. Politically, however, Trump moved fast to frame the incident as validation of his influence, suggesting that being targeted reflects his impact.

He also used the moment to revive his long-standing push for a more secure White House ballroom, with supporters arguing that existing venues pose safety risks. This approach reflects a familiar strategy—leveraging high-profile incidents to reinforce broader political messaging.

Sympathy Boost: Real But Short-Lived?

Historically, leaders can experience a temporary rise in public support after security threats or assassination attempts. In Trump’s case, the incident may briefly soften criticism and energize his core supporters, many of whom already see him as a figure under constant attack.

However, structural factors suggest any boost may not last. Voter priorities remain heavily focused on economic issues rather than isolated security events. Without a shift in perceptions around inflation or economic management, the political impact of the incident is likely to diminish quickly.

Risks And Counter-Narratives

The episode has also sparked scrutiny over security preparedness at the venue, raising questions that opponents may use to challenge governance. Additionally, Trump’s rapid pivot to policy messaging—particularly linking the incident to infrastructure proposals—could divide opinion, with critics accusing him of politicising a crisis.

Midterm Outlook Remains Unchanged

For Republicans, the broader electoral landscape appears largely unaffected. Trump continues to be central to the party’s prospects, but his relatively low approval ratings remain a concern. While the Hilton incident may offer a brief political reprieve, it does little to address deeper issues such as economic dissatisfaction and foreign policy challenges.

In essence, the shooting scare may deliver a short-term sympathy bump, but it is unlikely to significantly alter the trajectory of Trump’s presidency or the dynamics of the upcoming midterm elections.

Heatwave Forces School Timing Changes Across North India; Closures in Some Regions

Heatwave Forces School Timing Changes Across North India; Closures in Some Regions
Heatwave Forces School Timing Changes Across North India; Closures in Some Regions

New Delhi, 27th April: As temperatures surge unusually early this summer, authorities across North India have introduced urgent measures to protect students from extreme heat. Several regions, including Delhi-NCR, Patna, Dehradun, and parts of Rajasthan, have revised school schedules, reduced hours, or temporarily shut down institutions.

Precautionary Measures in Delhi

In Delhi, schools remain open for now, but authorities have rolled out safety guidelines to reduce heat-related risks. Students are being given regular hydration breaks every 45–60 minutes, and outdoor activities have been suspended between 11 am and 4 pm. Schools have also been directed to provide ORS solutions before students leave for home. Summer vacations are currently scheduled from May 11 to June 30, though earlier closures may be considered if temperatures continue to rise.

Revised Timings in Noida and Ghaziabad

In Noida (Gautam Buddh Nagar), all schools have shifted to a morning schedule from 7:30 am to 12:30 pm starting April 27. The order applies to all institutions regardless of board affiliation.

Nearby Ghaziabad has implemented similar changes for students up to Class 8, with classes now running only during morning hours to limit exposure to peak heat.

Complete Closure in Dehradun

Authorities in Dehradun have taken stricter action, ordering the closure of all schools and Anganwadi centres across the district from April 27. The decision covers all classes from 1 to 12 and applies to government and private institutions alike.

Rajasthan Districts Adjust Schedules

In districts like Sikar in Rajasthan, schools from pre-primary to Class 8 are now operating between 7:30 am and 11:30 am to protect younger students from heat exposure.

Authorities across these regions emphasize that these measures are necessary as temperatures continue to climb. Additional steps, including early summer vacations, may be introduced if conditions worsen.

LeT commander Yusuf Afridi shot dead by unknown gunmen in Pakistan
LeT is a terrorist organisation propped up and fully supported by the Pakistani establishment through its Army and intelligence agency ISI.

LeT commander Yusuf Afridi shot dead by unknown gunmen in Pakistan
LeT commander Yusuf Afridi who has been killed in Pakistan

Peshawar, Apr 27: One more anti-India terrorist commander has been shot dead by unknown gunmen in Pakistan.

Sheikh Yusuf Afridi, a senior commander of Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorist outfit, has been gunned down in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province of Pakistan.

According to reports, Afridi was shot at from close range by some gunmen who fled fro the scene immediately.

No group has claimed responsibility so far for the attack which comes after a series of such incidents in various parts of Pakistan over the last few years in which a number of anti-India terrorists have been eliminated.

LeT is a terrorist organisation propped up and fully supported by the Pakistani establishment through its Army and intelligence agency ISI.

Afridi was a close associate of LeT chief Hafiz Saeed and was linked to various attacks in India.

He was a key figure in LeT’s regional structure and was involved in recruitment and coordination of the outfit’s activities in the region.

LeT is on the banned list of the United Nations for its numerous terrorist attacks in India, including the ghastly multiple attacks in Mumbai in November 2008 in which 166 people, including foreigners, were killed over a period of 60 hours.

The 2008 attacks were carried out by 10 Pakistani terrorists who sneaked into Mumbai through the sea and targeted iconic places like the Chhattrapati Shivaji Railway Station and Taj Hotel. (NVI)

Massive Drug Bust in Anantnag; Over 166 kg Narcotics Seized, 4 Arrested

Anantnag, Apr 27 (NVI): In a major anti-narcotics operation, police in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag district have seized over 166 kilograms of contraband, including ganja and charas, and arrested four alleged drug peddlers, officials said on Monday.

Acting on specific inputs and during routine checking, multiple police teams carried out coordinated operations at different locations across the district, leading to the recovery of large quantities of narcotics, they said.

At Shalgam Crossing, a police team from Srigufwara police station intercepted an Alto car and recovered around 110 kg of ganja. The accused, identified as Nazir Ahmad Khatana, a resident of Gujar Basti Shalgam, was arrested on the spot. A case has been registered under relevant sections of the NDPS Act.

In a separate operation, police conducted a search at a residence in Watrigam following a court warrant and recovered approximately 51 kg of a charas-like substance. A case has been registered in this regard.

During naka checking at Sakhras Crossing, another accused, Rayees Ahmad Shah of Wullarhama, was apprehended with around 5 kg of charas powder.

In another Operation at Doodnad Waghama, police arrested a fourth alleged peddler and recovered 170 grams of charas along with ₹18,700 in cash.

Officials said multiple FIRs have been registered under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act and further investigation is underway to identify and dismantle the wider drug trafficking network.

Police reiterated their commitment to curbing the drug menace and appealed to the public to share information to support the ongoing crackdown.(NVI)

J&K Declares Shopian Seminary Unlawful Under UAPA

Srinagar, Apr 27 (NVI): The Jammu and Kashmir administration has declared a seminary in Shopian district as an unlawful entity under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA), 1967, citing alleged links with a banned organisation, financial irregularities and concerns over radicalisation, officials said on Monday.

The order was issued by Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Anshul Garg under Section 8(1) of the Act.

The action follows a dossier submitted by the Senior Superintendent of Police, Shopian, on March 24, based on which authorities concluded that the institution was involved in “serious legal, administrative and financial irregularities”, including lack of mandatory registration and alleged evasion of statutory oversight.

Officials said there was credible evidence of covert links between the seminary and Jamaat-e-Islami (JeI), a banned outfit, with individuals affiliated to it allegedly occupying key administrative and academic positions.

The order also cited financial opacity and suspected diversion of funds, besides inputs suggesting that the institution fostered an environment conducive to radicalisation, with some former students allegedly linked to militancy.

A show-cause notice was issued to the chairman of the institution on March 31, seeking an explanation. The reply was examined after seeking comments from the SSP Shopian, who termed the objections “factually untenable and devoid of legal merit”, officials said.

The administration said the proceedings were preventive in nature and aimed at curbing misuse of the premises for unlawful activities.

Following the notification, authorities are empowered to take further action, including sealing of the premises and freezing of financial assets, they added.(NVI)

Dividers Installed at Wayil Bridge After Accident Concerns in Ganderbal

Srinagar, Apr 27 (NVI): Authorities in Jammu and Kashmir’s Ganderbal district have installed road dividers at a blind curve near Wayil Bridge following concerns over a recent bike accident, officials said on Monday.

The issue was raised last week, prompting swift action by the Roads and Buildings (R&B) Department.

Dividers have been placed along the accident-prone stretch to enhance safety and regulate vehicular movement, they said.

Locals welcomed the move, saying it would help prevent mishaps and improve commuter safety.

Officials credited public feedback and timely reporting for facilitating quick intervention.

MUST READ