Thursday, May 21, 2026
Home Blog Page 1350

Nepal extends ban on international flights till Apr 30

Representational Image

New Delhi (NVI): The Nepal government has extended ban on all international flights till April 30 in view of the ongoing pandemic.

However, the ban on domestic flights will remain in remain in effect till April 15.

The Himalayan Times reported that the Nepal government has taken the decision as a precautionary measure.

A meeting of the High-Level Coordination Committee for the Prevention and Control of COVID-19 took a decision to this effect today, the newspaper reported.

According to reports, around 780 foreign tourists, mostly from European countries, stranded in the Himalayan country due to the coronavirus pandemic, have been evacuated in special flights.

The rescue flights have also brought in medical supplies, according to local media reports.

CBSE to introduce 3 new subjects

Representational Image

New Delhi (NVI): In a bid to make the new generation more creative, innovative and physically fit, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is introducing three new subjects for class 11 from 2020-21 academic session.

The education board has introduced Design-thinking, Physical Activity Trainer and Artificial Intelligence as new subjects for eleventh class, CBSE said in a statement today.

“CBSE is introducing three new subjects, ‘Design-thinking’ ‘Physical Activity Trainer’ and ‘Artificial Intelligence’ at Class XI from the Session 2020-21. Board is already offering 17 Skill subjects at Secondary level and 37 Skill Subjects at Senior Secondary level,” the CBSE said in a tweet.

India’s Covid-19 death toll rises to 124, tally 4,789

New Delhi (NVI): As the 14th day of the nationwide lockdown in India came to a close, the death toll due to coronavirus rose to 124, while total confirmed cases reached 4,789, according to Union Health Ministry.

As per the latest data available with the Ministry, there are 4,312 active cases in the country and 352 cured or discharged.

Yesterday, the Ministry come up with the gender distribution of COVID-19 cases as on April 6, 9pm. According to the analysis, 76 per cent positive cases have been reported in males, while 24 per cent positive cases have been reported in females.

In addition to this, those above 60 years of age make up just 19 per cent of COVID-19 patients in the country but people with pre-existing health conditions account for 63% of the fatalities so far, Health Ministry data reveals.

Meanwhile, the central government has come up with another list of “hotspots” in the country, which is in addition to the list released earlier. Few of the newly mentioned hotspots are Leh, Ladakh, Jaisalmer, Bhopal, Lucknow, Nagpur, Surat, Dehradun, Madurai etc.

These places are those where about 11 to 20 cases of Covid-19 have been identified.

COVID: Modi holds talks with Swedish PM

File Photo

New Delhi (NVI): Prime Minister Narendra Modi today had a telephonic conversation with his Swedish counterpart Stefan Lofven, as the two leaders discussed the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the steps being taken in their respective countries for controlling its health and economic impacts.

During the conversation, both the leaders agreed on the potential for collaboration and data sharing between Indian and Swedish researchers and scientists, which would also contribute to the global efforts against COVID-19, the PMO said in a statement.

The two leaders also promised to provide necessary facilitation and assistance for each other’s citizens, who may be stranded due to ongoing travel restrictions.

They also agreed that their officials would remain in touch to optimise availability of medical supplies for fighting COVID-19.

J&K: 16 more test positive for Covid-19, tally reaches 125

Representational image

Srinagar (NVI): Jammu and Kashmir government today said that 16 more people have tested positive for Covid-19, taking the total number of positive cases in the Union Territory to 125.

Of the 125 cases, there are 24 positive cases from the Jammu region while Kashmir has shown a spurt with total positive cases reaching 94. There have been three deaths, all of them in the Valley so far while as four persons, who were earlier tested positive, have recovered and have been discharged from the respective hospitals.

J&K government spokesman Rohit Kansal tweeted that 15 more cases have been tested positive today. “Nine among them have been detected in Valley and the rest of six are from Jammu region,” he said. Kansal confirmed that the total number of positive cases in J&K has gone up to 125.

Official sources said that three kids between the age group of 9 and 11 years, were among the fresh cases who were tested positive today in Kashmir.

According to the official bulletin, 7,084 persons have completed the surveillance period and 20,735 persons are under home surveillance. The bulletin further said that so far 1,900 samples have been collected for testing. Out of these 1900, the number of samples tested negative stands at 1,763 while 125 have been tested positive. Among them, four cases including three from the Jammu division and one from Kashmir division have recovered while three positive patients from the Kashmir division have died. Apart from that, the reports of 12 samples are yet to come.

CRPF jawan killed in militant attack in south Kashmir’s Anantnag

Kashmir
Representational Image

Abid Bashir

Srinagar (NVI): A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawan was killed in a militant attack today in Bijbehara area of south Kashmir’s Anantnag district.

Officials told NVI that the militants, who attacked the CRPF party, had earlier lobbed a grenade at the forces personnel, which, however, failed to explode.

“A few minutes after hurling the grenade, the militants fired at the CRPF party indiscriminately in which a CRPF man was critically injured,” an official said.

CRPF spokesman in Srinagar, Pankaj Singh said the injured CRPF jawan was immediately moved to the hospital, but he died on the way. “The slain CRPF man was identified as head constable Shiv Lal Netam, a resident of Chattisgarh. He was part of 90 battalion CRPF,” Singh said.

Soon after the attack, security forces cordoned off the entire area and a massive manhunt was launched to nab the attackers.

Kashmir witnesses third Covid death

Abid Bashir

Srinagar (NVI): A 60-year-old man from Hajin area of north Kashmir’s Bandipora district died of Covid-19 in a Srinagar hospital today, a few hours after he was admitted. His samples were taken soon after he was put in quarantine and the results came positive, barely two hours after his death.

The deceased (name withheld) developed chronic chest congestion after which he was shifted to a hospital in Hajin area of Bandipora. A doctor at health facility Hajin said that after seeing the symptoms of the patient, he was referred to Shri Maharaja Hari Singh (SMHS) Srinagar for specialized treatment.

Medical Superintendent SMHS hospital Srinagar Dr Nazir Choudhary said that the patient had bilateral pneumonia. “For us, he was the prime suspect of Covid-19 given his symptoms. We took his samples and put him under quarantine, but he succumbed in the afternoon (today),” he said. “His sample results came positive hours after his death.”

Nodel Officer for Covid-19 at Hajin, Syed Shahnawaz Ahmad said that the patient hails from Gund Jahengeer, Hajin area of Bandipora. He also confirmed that the patient died of Covid-19. “His test results came positive today,” Ahmad said.

He said that the body of the deceased has reached Hajin and entire medical team has rushed to the house of deceased. “We are following the guidelines laid down by the World Health Organization for the burial and funeral those who die of Caronavirus,” he said.

Asked whether the deceased had any travel history, Ahmed said: “The deceased had come in contact with a Covid-positive patient and had no travel history.” Official sources said that Rapid Response Team and medical teams have also reached the native village of deceased to oversee his burial and funeral as per the guidelines. Today’s death is third of its kind in Kashmir. Earlier, two elderly patients had also died of Covid-19 pandemic. While one of them was part of Tableegi Jamaat, another one, according to doctors, had transmitted the disease within the community.

Pakistan’s COVID-19 death toll reaches 54; cases top 3,800

New Delhi (NVI): The total number of coronavirus cases in Pakistan rose to 3,864 after more than 500 positive cases were reported while the death toll reached 54, according to the Health Ministry.

Meanwhile, as many as 429 people have been recovered and cured from the virus.

The health authorities in the country are scrambling to contain the spread of coronavirus by appealing to the public to remain inside their homes, after many of them were seen flouting government orders and roaming on the streets, accoring to the media reports.

Despite reiterating emergency measures, in many places, Islamic religious clerics were also seen addressing a gathering irrespective of the fact that religious congregation has been restricted by the government in view of the rapidly spreading contagion.

Punjab registered a maximum of 1,918 cases, followed by Sindh with 932 cases, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa with 500 cases, Gilgit-Baltistan with 211 cases, Balochistan with 202 cases and Islamabad with 83 cases, according to Geo News.

Coronavirus cases rise to 164 in Bangladesh; death toll at 17

New Delhi (NVI): The total number of COVID-19 fatalities have reached 17 in Bangladesh as 5 more deaths were confirmed today, according to the Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control and Research (IEDCR).

Besides, the total number of positive cases has reached 164 with 41 new infections being reported in the last 24 hours.

“Four of the deceased are male and another is female. Among them, two were aged above 60, two between 50 to 60 and one between 41 to 50 years old,” IEDCR director Prof Meerjady Sabrina Flora said.

In the past 24 hours, no new patient recovered from COVID-19, according to United News of Bangladesh.

In addition to this, Bangladesh has devised an app which will allow people to check for symptoms of the coronavirus disease by uploading a chest X-ray, with test results available through artificial intelligence within minutes, accoridng to Arab News.

Thousands cross over to Afghanistan from Pak: Report

New Delhi (NVI): Thousands of Afghans entered their country from Pakistan through Torkham pass today, local media reported while sharing a video.

Pakistan opened Torkham and Chaman passes yesterday for three days after being closed for a month, due to the coronavirus, Afghan media reported.

The governor of Nangarhar province in Afghanistan, Shah Mahmood Miakhel, has urged the people to be patient and let the medical staff screen them for COVID-19, according to reports.

Afghan authorities have expressed concern over possible Covid positive cases among those who crossed over to this side as Pakistan has also reported a number of coronavirus cases.

Afganistan has reported 56 new positive coronavirus cases since yesterday, according to local media reports.

The places where positive coronavirus cases were recorded in Afghanistan in the past 24 hours include, Herat (27), Kabul (12), Kandahar (10), Balkh (5) and Nangarhar (2).

Whereas, there are total 257 cases in Herat. With this, the total number of positive cases in Afghanistan has risen to 423.

So far, 14 people have been reported dead from coronavirus in Afghanistan, while 18 have recovered.

MUST READ