Thursday, May 21, 2026
Home Blog Page 1351

COVID-19: Shipping Ministry playing active role at ports

Representational image

New Delhi (NVI): In the wake of coronavirus, the Ministry of Shipping has been taking pro-active steps to ensure smooth running of shipping and port operations, ease the hardships, and at the same time, following the restrictions imposed during the lockdown.

In this regard, Shipping Ministry has undertaken several measures to handle COVID-19.

Some of these exemplary measures are:

1) Thermal scanning

Total of 46,202 passengers have been scanned between Jaunary 27 to April 4, using Thermal Scanners at Indian Ports. Out of which, 39,225 people were scanned at Major Ports.

2) Waiver of penal fee

Each Major Port has ensured that no penalties, demurrage, charges, fee, rentals are levied by the Major ports on any port user (traders, Shipping lines, concessionaires, licensees etc.) for any delay in berthing or loading/unloading operations or evacuation of cargo.

3) Force majeure

The period for completion of any Project under implementation in PPP mode or otherwise, can be extended by the Ports.

For existing and operational PPP projects, the Major Ports can permit waiver of all penal consequences on a case-to-case basis along with deferment of certain performance obligations under the relevant provisions of Concession Agreement.

4) Preparation of Hospitals

Hospitals across the Major Port Trusts have been supplied with the Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) and the arrangement of sufficient staff round the clock has been made. In some Port Hospitals, a part of the hospital can be earmarked for Covid-19 with separate entry and exit.

5) CSR Funds transferred to PMCARES Fund

Ports and PSUs under the Ministry of Shipping have contributed more than Rs 52 Crore from the CSR funds towards PM CARES Fund.

6) Employees contributing from their salary

Employees of Ports, PSUs and other offices of the Ministry of Shipping have contributed over Rs 7 crore from their salaries towards PM CARES Fund.

In addition to this, due to the proactive approach of the maritime administration all Indian ships have been kept in working condition with valid certificates, are adequately manned and are engaged in carriage of goods.

Kejriwal announces ‘5T’ action plan for Delhi to fight COVID-19

New Delhi (NVI): Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today announced a five-point plan to tackle the coronavirus outbreak in the national capital, comprising of ‘5Ts’: testing, tracing, treatment, teamwork and tracking and monitoring.

Addressing at a virtual briefing here, Kejriwal said, “Taking idea from South Korea, the government would conduct at least one lakh random rapid tests in hotspots across Delhi. The government has already conducted some 5,000 tests.”

He added that the government will first continue “tracing” contacts of those who have been already tested positive for COVID-19.

“We have an efficient team of doctors who will identify and quarantine those who have been in contact with coronovirus positive patients,” he said.

Kejriwal further said, “Secondly, regarding the ‘treatment’ of patients who have contracted the disease, the government has so far set up 3,000 patient beds in hospitals across the national capital.

“We have strategised to take over in phases more hospital beds, hotels, banquets and dharamshalas if the numbers increase,” he added.

“As novel coronavirus can only be defeated through teamwork, I am happy that all states along with the Centre are working together to stop the spread of the virus,” he said.

During the briefing, Kejriwal said that he will ensure that all parts of the plan were conducted efficiently. “My responsibility will be tracking and monitoring of the plan. I will see to it that it is followed through,” he said.

So far, Delhi has reported 523 positive cases of COVID-19, including seven deaths. Of the total number of cases, 330 are linked to the Tablighi Jamaat event at Nizamuddin.

Govt mulls extending COVID-19 lockdown after requests from states

New Delhi (NVI): The Centre is thinking of extending the nationwide 21-day COVID-19 lockdown after receiving requests in this regard from a number of states as well as experts, according to government sources.

The development took place even as India entered the 14th day of lockdown that was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 24.

Indications for extending the COVID-19 restrictions have come from Telangana, Rajasthan, Delhi and Madhya Pradesh, according to sources.

However, there has been no official announcement from the Central Government regarding the extension of lockdown, so far.

The country is currently under a 21-day lockdown from March 25 to April 14 in the wake of deadly coronavirus pandemic that has claimed over 75,000 lives and infected over 13.5 lakh people across the world.

Meanwhile, the death toll due to COVID-19 in India has risen to 114, while the total number of cases has climbed to 4,421, according to Health Ministry.

COVID-19: Smart cities collaborate with doctors for online consultation

Representational image

New Delhi (NVI): Telemedicine has emerged as an important technology to ensure citizen safety through efficient communication to fight COVID-19 pandemic.

Telemedicine is the distribution of health-related services and information through electronic information and telecommunication technologies.

Leveraging this technology, Smart Cities are collaborating with medical practitioners (certified doctors and health experts) in the city to provide online medical consultation facilities to citizens.

The guidelines issued by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) in collaboration with NITI Aayog and Indian Medical Council, allow remote delivery of medical services during the lockdown period.

The guidelines also allow doctors to write prescriptions based on telephonic, textual or video conversations — chat, images, messaging, emails, fax and others.

Citizens can therefore consult certified medical practitioners without the need to go out of the house, reducing the risk of COVID-19 spread.

Smart Cities are also ensuring collaborated efforts of District Administration, District Police and City Administration to monitor the suspected cases of COVID-19.

Various cities have also started the facility of helpline numbers in the country, in which doctors or medical practitioners are stationed at the integrated command and control centre (ICCC). This will help the doctors to provide assistance in any situation.

J&K Govt announces mass promotion of Class 1 to 9 in Jammu

Abid Bashir

Srinagar (NVI): Jammu and Kashmir government today announced a mass promotion for the students of class 1 to class 9 in the Jammu region in the wake of Covid-19 outbreak.

The government also ordered that the students studying in class 11 in Jammu region will also be promoted to the next class. In Kashmir, mass promotion has only been announced for those who were supposed to appear in bi-annual exams of Class 11.

The decision has been taken in the wake of the pandemic that has already claimed two lives in Kashmir and affected 109 people in J&K UT so far.

An order issued by the deputy secretary to the government, school education department, (JK UT), Sachin Jamwal, reads that the government has directed the chairman JK Board of School Education (BOSE) and director school education, Jammu division to issue notification/orders in this regard.

The JKBOSE had submitted a proposal to the government in this regard, advocating mass promotion for the students of class 1 to class 9 and also for the students of class 11 in the Jammu region.

“This has reference to your proposal dated April 04, 2020. In this context, I am directed to convey that keeping in view the prevailing extraordinary circumstances of the worldwide spread of Covid-19, the countrywide lockdown and the academic future of the students, the competent authority has agreed to your proposal and advised you to take necessary action including issuance of notification/orders, for implementation,” reads the order, a copy of which lies with the NVI.

The order further reads: “All students studying in Classes 1 to 9 of all schools (Government as well as Private) of Jammu Division which fall under Summer Zone and affiliated to J&K State Board of School Education recognized by Government of UT be promoted to the next class grade for the academic session 2020-21, as a one-time exemption.” The government has also advised the Director School Education Jammu to monitor and finalize the process of promotion as per the approved norms.

For class 11th (Summer Zone), the order states that all the examinees, who were supposed to appear in class 11 Annual Regular examination falling in Jammu Division (that stands postponed) be also promoted to the Hr. Sec. Part II (12th), as one-time exemption. The government has also announced mass promotion for the class 11 students of Kashmir, who were set to appear in bi-annual exams.

3rd week of lockdown crucial: Naidu

New Delhi (NVI): Vice President Venkaiah Naidu today said that the third week of lockdown will be critical for deciding on the exit from the present nation-wide restrictions in force from March 25.

Naidu said that concerns about the health of the people shall take precedence over that of stabilization of economy. “In my view, while the concerns of economy can wait for another day, that of health can’t,” Naidu said.

He also said that the data regarding the extent and rate of spread of virus infection will have a bearing on exit strategy.

While referring to the consultations between the Prime Minister and Chief Ministers on the exit strategy, Naidu asked citizens to obey whatever decision follows and cooperate with the same spirit that has so far been demonstrated even if hardship were to continue after April 14.

He expected that government will ensure smooth functioning of supply chains and adequate relief and support for the vulnerable sections.

Trump issues threat over drug, India says ready to supply to ‘badly affected’ nations

Donald Trump
US President Donald Trump

New Delhi (NVI): Just over a month after he went gaga over ties with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, US President Donald Trump today issued a warning of “retaliation” if the Indian leader did not allow export of a particular drug to America.

Within hours of his issuing the threat, India said it will be supplying the drug Hydroxychloroquine (HCG) to “some nations who have been particularly badly affected by the pandemic”, an obvious reference to the US where coronavirus has caused havoc.

“In view of the humanitarian aspects of the pandemic, it has been decided that India would licence paracetamol and HCQ in appropriate quantities to all our neighbouring countries who are dependent on our capabilities,” External Affairs Ministry spokesman Anurag Srivastava said in a statement.

“We will also be supplying these essential drugs to some nations who have been particularly badly affected by the pandemic. We would therefore discourage any speculation in this regard or any attempts to politicise the matter,” he added.

The MEA spokesperson’s statement came after Trump spoke to reporters in Washington on the issue of HCG, which the US believes can help in the cure of coronavirus.

Trump said, “For many years, they (India) have been taking advantage of the United States on trade. I spoke to him (PM Narendra Modi) Sunday morning and I said we appreciate it that you are allowing our supply (of Hydroxychloroquine) to come out. If he doesn’t allow it to come out, that would be okay. But of course, there may be retaliation, why wouldn’t there be?”

Interestingly, the threat from the US President came just over a month after his visit to India during which Modi hosted a mega event ‘Namaste Trump’ in Ahmedabad. Trump had gone gaga over the reception he received and described Modi as a ‘friend’.

In response to queries related to Trump’s threat, Srivastava said, “We have seen some attempts by sections of the media to create unnecessary controversy over the issue of COVID19 related drugs and pharmaceuticals.”

He said that like any responsible government, “our first obligation is to ensure that there are adequate stocks of medicines for the requirement of our own people. In order to ensure this, some temporary steps were taken to restrict exports of a number of pharmaceutical products.”

In the meanwhile, the spokesman said, a comprehensive assessment was made of possible requirements under different scenarios.

“After having confirmed the availability of medicines for all possible contingencies currently envisaged, these restrictions have been largely lifted. The DGFT (Directorate General of Foreign Trade) has notified lifting restrictions on 14 drugs yesterday,” he said.

“With regard to paracetamol and Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), they will be kept in a licensed category and their demand position would be continuously monitored. However, the stock position could allow our companies to meet the export commitments that they had contracted,” Srivastava said.

“Given the enormity of the COVID19 pandemic, India has always maintained that the international community must display strong solidarity and cooperation. This approach also guided our evacuation of nationals of other countries,” he said.

WhatsApp slowing spread of messages to curb misinformation

New Delhi (NVI): Whatsapp today said that it has rolled out a new feature change to slow the spread of misinformation amid the COVID-19 outbreak.

The popular Facebook-owned chat app now seeks to slow the dissemination of fake news, the company announced today.

Whatsapp has introduced a new limit under which frequently forwarded messages can only be forwarded to one chat at a time. This limit kicks in once a message has been previously forwarded 5 times or more, the company said.

The popular messaging app has also released its beta version recently that empowers users to find out more information around these kinds of messages.

The idea involves displaying a magnifying glass icon next to these frequently forwarded messages, giving users the option to send that message to a web search where they can find news results or other sources of information. Double-checking these messages before forwarding may help reduce the spread of rumors, the company said in a statement.

However, the feature is in the testing stage at present and Whatsapp will inform its users when it is ready.

Aarogya Setu is not a surveillance app: Govt

New Delhi (NVI): The central government has issued a clarification and termed a prominent newspaper’s Op-Ed, which alleges Aarogya Setu app will be used for surveillance, as baseless.

The Aarogya Setu app, was launched by the government to keep people informed about COVID-19, and help them self-evaluate their risk of catching the virus.

In the clarification issued, the government has assured people that Aarogya Setu is not a surveillance app and is only a safe mobile application to help people stay notified about latest coronavirus updates or assist them in self-assessing their current health-condition.

The clarification was tweeted on Press Information Bureau’s (PIB) twitter handle, to fact check the claim that is doing rounds on the internet.

The app uses location, Bluetooth and basic personal information of the users to function. But it does not link user location and user data with any sensitive personal data. Neither does it make users vulnerable to hacking.

This app was launched a few days ago, in order to bring the citizens together in the fight against COVID-19.

World Health Day 2020: Highlighting the critical role of nurses and midwives

The emergency fund is aimed at strengthening healthcare systems. (Representational Image)

New Delhi (NVI): World Health Day is observed every year on April 7, by the World Health Organisation. It is also marked as the foundation day of WHO.

Every year, a particular health theme is decided to highlight the area of concern. This year, as COVID-19 pandemic has created panic all around the world, the tagline for World Health Day 2020 is – Support nurses and midwives.

The theme recognises the efforts of nurses and other health workers who are doing their best to help the victims of COVID-19. It is to celebrate the work of these healthcare workers and remind world leaders of the critical role they play in keeping the world healthy.

Nurses and other health workers are at the forefront of COVID-19 response, providing high quality, respectful treatment and care, leading community dialogue to address fears and questions and, in some instances, collecting data for clinical studies.

Today, on World Health Day, the current status of nursing around the world is being highlighted.

WHO and its partners are making a series of recommendations to strengthen nursing and midwifery workforce.

This is going to be important if one had to achieve national and global targets related to universal health coverage, maternal and child health, infectious and non-communicable diseases including mental health, emergency preparedness and response, patient safety etc.

As the theme says, it must also be considered that it is the health workers and nurses who are in the front line combating the deadly widespread pandemic caused by coronavirus.

However, they are not only providing the best possible care but are also leading community dialogue to address questions and fears about the COVID-19 disease.

MUST READ