Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Home Blog Page 33

Policeman Critically Injured in Attack by Bike-Borne Assailants in Jammu

Representational Image

Jammu, Apr 19 (NVI): A police personnel was critically injured after being attacked by unidentified miscreants in the Bakshi Nagar area of Jammu on Sunday evening, officials said.

The injured cop, identified as Sandeep, was assaulted by two bike-borne assailants around this evening , causing serious injuries to his head and face, according to initial reports.

He was immediately shifted to Government Medical College, Jammu, for advanced treatment, where his condition is stated to be serious.

Police have taken cognizance of the incident and constituted teams to identify and apprehend the attackers.

Further details are awaited, officials added.(NVI)

Kashmir: QR-Based Verification System in Pahalgam where terrorists struck last year

Kashmir: QR-Based Verification System in Pahalgam where terrorists struck last year
Locals showing QR code on their mobile phones

Pahalgam(Kashmir), Apr 19 (NVI): Almost a year on from the ghastly terror attack in Pahalgam in Kashmir, a QR code-based verification system has been put in place in this tourist destination by the authorities in an effort to strengthen security.

This mechanism also helps in reposing trust among the visitors regarding the people they interact here.

It may be recalled that on April 22 last year, three terrorists had struck in Baisaran area of Pahalgam, gunning down 25 tourists and a local in a span of about 30 minutes.

That incident temporarily caused a major setback to tourist flow to this place.

Pahalgam terror attack: Indian investigators get Pakistani links; Prepare dossier

The QR code system has been introduced as part of a broader effort to maintain a secure environment, curb unauthorized activities, and promote responsible tourism, officials said.

The digital initiative enables real-time verification of tourists, service providers, and local businesses, ensuring improved monitoring, accountability, and transparency.

Local stakeholders have largely welcomed the move, calling it a step towards safeguarding livelihoods and restoring normalcy.

Basheer Ahmed, a local horse operator, said the QR system ensures that only authorized individuals can operate in the area.

“This is a good facility—no one can work here illegally now. I received my QR code from the police station about 20 days ago. It’s especially beneficial for horse operators and others involved in the tourism sector,” he said.

While condemning the 2025 attack, Ahmed noted its adverse impact on local livelihoods. “We depend entirely on tourists. I appeal to the Lieutenant Governor and the Central Government to reopen Baisaran. Tourists feel disheartened as it remains closed,” he added.

Echoing similar sentiments, Gulzar Ahmad Wani, Vice President of Tourist Taxi Stand No. 2, said the QR system helps protect local employment. “No outsiders can come and work here now—only locals are authorized. This is a positive step,” he said.

Wani also urged authorities to reopen key tourist destinations.

“Places like Baisaran and Chandanwari should be reopened as fewer tourists are visiting. This is not just about Pahalgam but the entire J&K. Tourism must be revived fully,” he said.

He further expressed gratitude to the Union Home Minister and the Lieutenant Governor for encouraging tourists to visit Kashmir. “Kashmir belongs to all of us. We are one with India,” he added. (NVI)

Man Injured While Attempting to Escape Police Custody in J&K’s Kishtwar

Monochrome of a man fleeing a grungy underground parking.

Jammu, Apr 19 (NVI): A man in the custody of Uttar Pradesh Police was injured after he allegedly attempted to escape at Kishtwar Pather in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday evening, Sources said.

The accused, identified as Mohd Azim, a resident of Wali Dhakar in Uttar Pradesh, was being brought from Srinagar for transit to his home state when he tried to flee from police custody around this evening, they said.

During the escape attempt, he jumped and sustained injuries. However, he was immediately overpowered and re-apprehended by the escorting police team.

The injured was shifted to Sub-District Hospital Banihal for treatment, they added.

Further details are awaited.(NVI)

US National and an NRI detained at Srinagar Airport for possessing Satellite Phone
Possession and use of a Satellite phone are banned in India for security reasons as terrorists, sponsored and supported by Pakistan, often used these sets to avoid detection.

US National and an NRI detained at Srinagar Airport for possessing Satellite Phone
Satellite Phone (Representative Pic)

Srinagar, Apr 19 (NVI): A US national and an NRI were detained today at the Srinagar International Airport in Kashmir after a satellite phone, banned in India, was recovered from their luggage during routine security screening, officials said.

The American national has been identified as Jeffrey Scott Pather while his accomplice has been identified as Koushik Haldar, orginally from West Bengal but settled in the US.

They were immediately handed over to the police for investigation, they said.

Police said that both individuals are being questioned to ascertain the purpose of carrying the device and other related aspects.

Officials said the US Embassy in Delhi is being informed.

A satellite phone, also call a SatPhone, is a type of mobile communication set which can connect with a normal telephone network through a satellite, instead of the terrestrial cell network.

Such type of phone is generally used in areas which do not have terrestrial network coverage. 

Possession and use of a Satellite phone are banned in India for security reasons as terrorists, sponsored and supported by Pakistan, often used these sets to avoid detection. (NVI)

Security Tightened on Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Track; DIG, SSP Review Arrangements

Katra, Apr 19 (NVI): Security along the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi shrine route has been strengthened, with senior police officers conducting a detailed review across Katra and adjoining hilly areas to ensure the safety of pilgrims.

DIG Udhampur-Reasi Range Shiv Kumar Sharma and SSP Reasi Mukund Tebriwal carried out a joint inspection of sensitive locations, including Gobian village, Sulla, Remindi and Devi Pindian, they said.

The officers undertook foot patrols in remote stretches and along key trekking routes leading to the shrine.

They also interacted with pilgrims to assess security arrangements on the ground and boost confidence among visitors.

During the review, directions were issued to field officers, including SP Katra, SDPOs and SHOs, to maintain heightened alertness and intensify checking and patrolling.

Officials said Village Defence Guards (VDGs) have also been activated to strengthen local-level vigilance.

The public has been urged to cooperate with security agencies and report any suspicious activity to ensure a safe and secure environment for pilgrims, they added.(NVI)

Ration Distribution for Kashmiri Migrants Begins Across Jammu Province

Ration Distribution for Kashmiri Migrants Begins Across Jammu Province
Representative pic

Jammu, Apr 18 (NVI): The Jammu and Kashmir government on Saturday began distribution of ration under the Special Relief Ration Scheme for Kashmiri and Jammu migrants across the Jammu province, officials said.

The distribution was launched simultaneously at 32 ration depots earmarked for migrants in Jammu district, besides designated centres in other districts.

As per officials, all relief ration card holders, irrespective of their categorisation, will continue to receive 11 kg of free ration per person per month along with 1 kg of sugar.

Beneficiaries registered under the non-relief category will get ration at government-approved rates in line with their entitlement under the National Food Security Act  (NFSA).

Director, Food and Civil Supplies, Jammu, R K Shavan, and Relief and Rehabilitation Commissioner, Dr Arvind Karwani, visited several depots, including those at Jagti, Nagrota, Muthi and Purkhoo migrant camps, to oversee the distribution process.

Officials said directions were issued to ensure smooth distribution and to expedite completion of e-KYC formalities for pending ration card holders.

The government has also amended relevant food security rules to integrate migrant ration cards with the NFSA database, enabling beneficiaries to access multiple welfare schemes, they added.(NVI)

Iran Navy fires at 2 Indian vessels in Strait of Hormuz, India lodges protest

Strait of Hormuz
Strait of Hormuz

New Delhi, Apr 18: In a startling development, the Iranian Navy today fired upon and forced two Indian ships, carrying oil from Iraq, to turn back in the Strait of Hormuz.

The two vessels were identified as ‘Jag Arnav’ and ‘Sanmar Herald’.

In the evening, Iranian Ambassador to India was summoned by the Ministry of External Affairs to lodge a protest over the aggressive incident.

“Two Indian vessels were forced back west out of the Strait of Hormuz by Iran’s Navy. Firing was involved,” reported the Islamic Republic of of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB).

“One of the vessels is an Indian-flagged VLCC supertanker carrying 2 million barrels of Iraqi oil,” it added.

The Strait of Hormuz, flanked by Iran and Oman, is an extremely critical maritime corridor for movement of around 20% of the global crude shipments.

The Ambassador of Iran in New Delhi was “called in by the Ministry of External Affairs for a meeting with Foreign Secretary this evening.

“During the meeting, Foreign Secretary conveyed India’s deep concern at the shooting incident earlier today involving two Indian-flagged ships in the Strait of Hormuz.

“He noted the importance that India attached to the safety of merchant shipping and mariners and recalled that Iran had earlier facilitated the safe passage of several ships bound for India.

“Reiterating his concern at this serious incident of firing on merchant ships, Foreign Secretary urged the Ambassador to convey India’s views to the authorities in Iran and resume at the earliest the process of facilitating India-bound ships across the Strait,” the External Affairs Ministry said in a statement.

“The Ambassador of Iran undertook to convey these views to the Iranian authorities,” it added.

India, which depends heavily on oil and gas imports from the West Asian nations, is among the countries with the highest number of vessels passing through the strait.

The attack came hours after Iran announced closure of the Strait again following fresh threats by US President Donald Trump to “start bombing again”.

“Iran agreed to allow a limited number of ships to pass through the Strait of Hormuz according to agreements. But the US did not fulfil its obligations. So, the Strait of Hormuz is now closed again and passage requires Iran’s approval,” the Iranian military said.

India and Russia can station troops, fighter planes, warships on each other’s territory
The two countries have signed an Inter-Governmental Agreement in this regard.

India and Russia can place troops, fighter planes, warships on each other’s territory
PM Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin (File Pic)

New Delhi, Apr 18: In a major development, India and Russia will be able to station military aircraft, navy warships and up to 3,000 soldiers in each other’s territory, boosting their strategic relationship.

This will be possible under an Inter-Governmental Agreement between the two countries on procedures for sending military personnel along with fighter planes and warships to each other’s territory.

“Under this agreement, unless the parties agree otherwise, no more than the following may be present simultaneously on the territory of the receiving state and in the airspace above it: Five military ships of the sending state, 10 military aircraft of the sending state, 3,000 military personnel of the sending state,” the agreement says.

Details:

The agreement regulates not only the deployment of military personnel and equipment but also logistics.

The established procedures will be used during joint exercises, training, the provision of humanitarian assistance, the response to natural disasters and manmade catastrophes, as well as in other cases by agreement.

The document simplifies the mutual use of the two countries’ airspace and entry by Russian and Indian military ships in each other’s ports.

The agreement was signed in February 2025 and Russia ratified a law in this regard in December last year.

The agreement entered into force on January 12, 2026, said the legal information portal of Russia which published the document today. (NVI)

Army, J&K Police Joint Counter-Terror Training Concludes in Jammu

Jammu, Apr 18 (NVI): A joint counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism refresher course for Jammu and Kashmir Police personnel, conducted under the aegis of the Army’s Tiger Division, concluded on Saturday, officials said.

The course was held from April 7 to 18 and was jointly conceptualised by senior officers of the Indian Army and the Jammu and Kashmir Police to enhance operational coordination and standardisation of procedures in the region’s evolving security environment.

A total of 108 police personnel underwent intensive training conducted by the Miran Sahib Brigade, with a focus on strengthening junior leadership for effective execution of small team operations, officials said.

The participants were trained in various operational aspects, including patrolling, quick reaction team drills, mobile vehicle check post procedures, ambush and counter-ambush tactics, cordon and search operations, and room intervention techniques.

Specialised sessions were also conducted on weapon handling, use of modern equipment, drone identification and counter-drone measures, first aid and casualty evacuation, and intelligence gathering and sharing.

Officials said the training included practical exercises and rehearsals to ensure hands-on experience and familiarisation with advanced surveillance systems and drone technologies.

They said such joint initiatives play a key role in improving coordination, situational awareness and preparedness to deal with emerging security challenges, and reaffirm the commitment of the Army and J&K Police to maintaining peace and stability in the region.(NVI)

Indian Army jawan injured in Landmine Explosion Along LoC in Jammu and Kashmir

Indian Army jawan injured in Landmine Explosion Along LoC in Jammu and Kashmir
File Photo

Jammu, Apr 18 (NVI): An Army soldier was injured in a landmine explosion along the Line of Control (LoC) in the Balakot area of Poonch district in Jammu on Saturday

The incident occurred during an area domination patrol, in which an Agniveer sustained injuries. He was immediately shifted to a hospital and is stated to be in stable condition.

They said landmines in forward areas, laid as part of anti-infiltration measures, can sometimes get displaced due to rains, leading to such incidents.

In a separate operation, a rusted mortar shell was detected in a border village and was safely defused by Army experts in a controlled explosion without causing any damage, they added.(NVI)

MUST READ